More Doctors Moving To Texas

lockmat

I do not know a single lawyer who has packed up for California or anywhere else as a result of this law. Further, given that the number of lawyers licensed in Texas has steadily risen since 2004, from 73,084 to 79,409, and the percentage of those lawyers licensed in Texas who actually practice within the state has remained constant at 90%, I'd say that the quote, anecdotal or not, is false.

Given that the only lawyers who can afford to handle medical malpractice cases are ones with a healthy practice capable of sustaining the very high costs involved in bringing these cases, I'd think that the real answer is none, even though the person in the article would like to think he ran a few off.

I do not know a single lawyer who has packed up for California or anywhere else as a result of this law.

We need to work on that sense of humor a bit more, Red. That bit was a joke.

Now with that in mind, the entirety of this article was propaganda. I'm ill-qualified to comment on whether it is propaganda based in fact or whether it is just a load of crap, but I do know enough not to take it at face value.

We need to work on that sense of humor a bit more, Red. That bit was a joke.

Now with that in mind, the entirety of this article was propaganda. I'm ill-qualified to comment on whether it is propaganda based in fact or whether it is just a load of crap, but I do know enough not to take it at face value.

Reading propaganda ruins my humor, I guess. At least the WSJ was kind enough to warn us that every bad doctor in the country now thinks they can commit malpractice without penalty in Texas, and are rushing here as fast as they can get here.

Reading propaganda ruins my humor, I guess. At least the WSJ was kind enough to warn us that every bad doctor in the country now thinks they can commit malpractice without penalty in Texas, and are rushing here as fast as they can get here.

You might take a look-see at who actually wrote the article.

You might take a look-see at who actually wrote the article.

Yeah, I noticed that. Makes me wonder about his statement of Tennessee doctors coming here. I'm guessing it's not just doctors from that state, but others as well.

Yeah, I noticed that. Makes me wonder about his statement of Tennessee doctors coming here. I'm guessing it's not just doctors from that state, but others as well.

Well there's that, but he also argues that tort reform is one reason why Texas' economy is doing so well. I'm not going to say that it doesn't help, but our economy is really far more driven by commodities prices, immigration, and a generally favorable regulatory environment (of which his specially favorable regulatory environment is only a small part).

• 2 weeks later...

More lawyers coming to Houston as well it seems

http://www.law.com/jsp/law/careercenter/la...d=1202421707948

In the booming Houston legal market, where two national firms opened offices this year and several others in the past few years, it's a buyer's market for lawyers -- particularly those who practice in the energy field.

Competition is so fierce that firms have started the practice of offering lucrative and rare three-year compensation guarantees and are getting into bidding wars over partners with energy practices.

THE 'GATEWAY'

Lawyers in other cities may be experiencing layoffs, but in Houston, where oil is king and folks celebrate when the price of oil skyrockets, the legal market is exploding.

"Law firms want to come here because we have a strong energy base plus the city is doing pretty well economically, and Houston is the gateway to the world's energy market," said Peggy A. Heeg, a Houston partner at Fulbright & Jaworski, a firm with a large energy practice. "Our energy lawyers get calls from headhunters every single day, and we're flattered about that."

Stacy Humphries, principal at MS Legal Search, a Houston legal headhunter, said, "It's certainly been a very hot market, and it hasn't showed any signs of slowing down. National firms continue to want to expand to Texas or add a Houston office. It's very much the case that the energy industry is driving a lot of that."

• The title was changed to More Doctors Moving To Texas

Archived