Guessing Game: TNG

TheNiche

I returned earlier this week from a vacation I took, driving nearly 900 miles within Texas. I left from the office, after having wrapped up a project at 2:30AM on Sunday, and returned home at 4:30AM on Tuesday. Unfortunately, traveling at night meant that my photo-buggery was a little more limited than I'd have preferred (and that the passenger side of my car smells like the skunk I ran over), but I did come back with enough photos to fuel a few rounds of 'Guessing Game' on HAIF.

Unfortunately for those not very familiar with the grand ol' State of Texas, you probably aren't going to win, except possibly in the last round. And in all honesty, even those that know Texas backwards and forwards could have trouble with the more obscure shots. I'm going to try and keep this going in chronological order; that concludes any preemptive hinting I might otherwise have provided.

The first round is of moderate difficulty. What town is this?

1aft5.jpg

1bof8.jpg

First thought was Victoria, but that's not far enough away. San Angelo?

Edit: you finish a project at work at 2:30 am then jump in the car and drive 'til daylight? You are a monster, dude. :)

Victoria, San Angelo, and Killeen are the 'big city' compared to this little town.

Elecpharm was closest, though.

I'll give you all another 12 hours, then I'm moving on.

The first building, I'm guessing, is an old high school. My first thought was courthouse or city hall, but there's not enough parking and no handicap access visible.

The second building, maybe a rooming house or large private residence from the turn of the century? Stripped-down Greek Revival.

The light looks sorta coastal. Rockport? Sinton? I agree about the vegetation. Maybe East-Texas-y?

Something like Center or Carthage?

The first building, I'm guessing, is an old high school. My first thought was courthouse or city hall, but there's not enough parking and no handicap access visible.

Stick with your gut. It's the side entrance to the building, but that's the angle that the sun gave me. Foliage obscured the true front entrance, and the aesthetic balance was off from the rear entrance as a result of the foliage.

Parking was plentiful...but I don't make a habit of photographing parking spaces if I can help it.

It ain't coastal.

Stick with your gut. It's the side entrance to the building, but that's the angle that the sun gave me. Foliage obscured the true front entrance, and the aesthetic balance was off from the rear entrance as a result of the foliage.

Parking was plentiful...but I don't make a habit of photographing parking spaces if I can help it.

It ain't coastal.

Menard? Seems like the closest match on texascourthouses.com.

Brady, Lampasas, Luling, and Hughes Springs all have S. Pecan Ave's or St's.

Archived