Milam Street Next To Post Oak Grille

Jax

I was eating at Van Loc last week when I noticed some demolition going on across the street. They totally destroyed the leftmost half of the retail building with the Post Oak Grille in it. Basically all of the other retail space was flattened. I heard it was to make room for a parking lot. Seems kinda strange because there are 2 or 3 empty lots right across the street that could have been used for parking.

I had never seen half a building get demolished while the other half was still in use to make room for parking before. To make it weirder, I am pretty sure that building was built last year. Did anybody else notice this?

Parking for that restaurant is a pain. We've eaten there a few times, although not since the name changed from Saga to Post Oak Grille Express Midtown. The High End stores don't allow parking in their lots, and there's not really a place to park on the street. If the retail wasn't leased, then perhaps parking is a better use for the land.

I sort of wish they could have used the empty lots across the street for parking (There are like 2 or 3 of them), but I guess it's not that simple. It really feels like a waste. :( I wonder how much the restaurant had to pay to buy out the other storefronts and then demolish them.

i don't understand what you are trying to say? can you explain please

In other words, if the land is valuable enough, the strip centers can easily be knocked down if something more profitable comes along, like more condos, stores, or apartments.

• 1 month later...

We went to Post Oak Grill Express this weekend on Saturday night (Yes we parked in the new surface lot even though there were plenty of on-street spots...). Food was very good, pricing was exceptional for a nice dinner spot in Midtown. However, it was DEAD. There was one big party group, like 15 people, one table of 4 and us, at 8pm on a Saturday night. Speaking to the staff, they said they are doing well on the lunch crowds, and have altered their menu accordingly. There are a lot of sandwiches and the like, but I had the KC Steak, CSOM Gal had the Flounder, and we were pleased with the meal and our service, and got out of there for well under $100 including drinks and desert.

If you want to see more places like this in Midtown, I would encourage you to put a little money where your mouth is and support these kinds of places.

We went to Post Oak Grill Express this weekend on Saturday night (Yes we parked in the new surface lot even though there were plenty of on-street spots...). Food was very good, pricing was exceptional for a nice dinner spot in Midtown. However, it was DEAD. There was one big party group, like 15 people, one table of 4 and us, at 8pm on a Saturday night. Speaking to the staff, they said they are doing well on the lunch crowds, and have altered their menu accordingly. There are a lot of sandwiches and the like, but I had the KC Steak, CSOM Gal had the Flounder, and we were pleased with the meal and our service, and got out of there for well under $100 including drinks and desert.

If you want to see more places like this in Midtown, I would encourage you to put a little money where your mouth is and support these kinds of places.

It was slow in most of the places (bars) I hopped to. I finally had to finish my night at Late Nite Pie, where the golf game kicked my ass. :(

• The title was changed to Milam Street Next To Post Oak Grille