Translations, please!

I'm working on an update to the web site, and I need to know what the Spanish equivalents of the following terms would be:

Home (as in click here to go to the main page)

Building Database

Forum

Your are here

Thanks!

I'm working on an update to the web site, and I need to know what the Spanish equivalents of the following terms would be:

Building Database

Forum

Your are here

Thanks!

First one would be Casa, either way, there is no other spelling for Home. Or you could put "Main Page", a principal p

Edited by TJones

Building Database

Forum

Your are here

Thanks!

Home (as in click here to go to the main page) - IR A LA PAGINA PRINCIPAL (Go to the main page)

Building Database - Database is "BASE DE DATOS" Building can be understood as Constructing or an actual structure. I think I understand you want to say " BASE DE DATOS EN CONSTRUCCION"

Forum - "FORO" you can also use "DEBATE" but for the internet, Foro would be the correct one.

You are here - "USTED ESTA AQUI" - Normally only used down there to show your current location on a map.

Here's some more:

Community (as in "HAIF Community")

Extras

Tools

Sister Sites

Architecture wiki

Flickr Group

Jobs

Calendar

___ on Facebook

Computer wallpaper

Architecture News

Latest additions

Search

Contact

RSS Feed

Cite this page

printer-friendly format

share this page

Here's some more:

Community (as in "HAIF Community")

Extras

Tools

Sister Sites

Architecture wiki

Flickr Group

Jobs

Calendar

___ on Facebook

Computer wallpaper

Architecture News

Latest additions

Search

Contact

RSS Feed

Cite this page

printer-friendly format

share this page

OH C'MON NOW !!! :mellow::rolleyes:

Comunidad

Excesos

Instrumentos

Sitios de hermana

Wiki de arquitectura

Grupo de Flickr

Trabajos

Calendario

___ en Facebook

Papel pintado de computadora

Noticias de arquitectura

Ultimas adiciones

B

Edited by TJones

tenada tu pinche' pendejo' gringo :P:lol:

Excelente TJ!!!

In some I would use:

Extras (Extra can be used also in spanish) - or "Adicional/Adicionales". For example Extra Features would be "CARACTERISTICAS ADICIONALES"

Sister Sites - Sitios Hermanos (It switches to masculine for it to sound right in spanish)

Architecture wiki - Arquitectura Wiki

Computer Wallpaper - Protector de Pantalla

RSS Feed - Alimentacion RSS

Printer-Friendly Format - Formato de impresion (Friendly dissapears in spanish! ;) )

Excelente TJ!!!

In some I would use:

Extras (Extra can be used also in spanish) - or "Adicional/Adicionales". For example Extra Features would be "CARACTERISTICAS ADICIONALES"

Sister Sites - Sitios Hermanos (It switches to masculine for it to sound right in spanish)

Architecture wiki - Arquitectura Wiki

Computer Wallpaper - Protector de Pantalla

RSS Feed - Alimentacion RSS

Printer-Friendly Format - Formato de impresion (Friendly dissapears in spanish! ;) )

Doesn't it all hinge on what region you are from though? I know some Central Americans that sound like "hicks" when they are talking. Then you listen to Peruvians that sound pretty smooth, I think it has something with their German hertitage being mixed in though. LOL! ;)

I am not fluent in spanish at all, just really good at restaurant spanish. I understand more than I can speak for some reason though. My translator link comes in very handy. Example: I had a guy send in a lead to buy a vehicle from me yesterday. I translated his writing as wanting to put down $12000 and financing the rest, when in fact he wanted to put down $12000 to hold it and would bring me the rest in a couple of weeks. I also translated (in my head) that he was wanting to finance $16000 total, and apparently he wanted $16000 TOTAL DRIVE OUT ! Nolo contende on that caca de' toro !

I will agree with this one for sure, I guess you can't eat an RSS.

Edited by TJones

Doesn't it all hinge on what region you are from though? I know some Central Americans that sound like "hicks" when they are talking. Then you listen to Peruvians that sound pretty smooth, I think it has something with their German hertitage being mixed in though. LOL! ;)

I am not fluent in spanish at all, just really good at restaurant spanish. I understand more than I can speak for some reason though. My translator link comes in very handy. Example: I had a guy send in a lead to buy a vehicle from me yesterday. I translated his writing as wanting to put down $12000 and financing the rest, when in fact he wanted to put down $12000 to hold it and would bring me the rest in a couple of weeks. I also translated (in my head) that he was wanting to finance $16000 total, and apparently he wanted $16000 TOTAL DRIVE OUT ! Nolo contende on that caca de' toro !

I will agree with this one for sure, I guess you can't eat an RSS.

We all sound different south the border. Even different regions of Colombia which is about the size of Texas + California, have complete different accents and vocabulary. I've worked with people from everysingle country down there and it is really interesting to see the way every place developed a different way to speak and how easy you can recognize which country they are from.

You can eat an RSS - Raton Sobre Salsa

• 2 weeks later...
I think 'Herramientos' would be better than Instrumentos for tools. Instrumentos might be better used as a word for musical instruments or implements. Tools is generally herramientos

Herramientas. Tools is feminine is spanish.

But I agree with you, on an IT environment, Herramientas sounds better than Instrumentos.

It might help you if you saw the results in context:

http://www.chicagoarchitecture.info/Delta.php?ID=1006

Click on the appropriate flag in the upper right hand corner of the page.

Pretty Cool. Only 3 recommendations:

- Pagina Primaria sounds like "Basic Page" - Pagina Principal is a more appropiate one.

- Definitely use Herramientas instead of Instrumentos and

- Sitios Hermanos (You don't need to use the word "de").

Pretty Cool. Only 3 recommendations:

- Pagina Primaria sounds like "Basic Page" - Pagina Principal is a more appropiate one.

- Definitely use Herramientas instead of Instrumentos and

- Sitios Hermanos (You don't need to use the word "de").

Fixed! Thanks. Now all I need is someone from Germany and someone from France to verify those translations.

Hmmmm.... I was a little let down that all the text for the descriptions are still in English though. I wonder if you can add a language pack to the site so the NON-English speaking can read the whole thing when you click on a flag ?

Edited by TJones

It might help you if you saw the results in context:

http://www.chicagoarchitecture.info/Delta.php?ID=1006

Click on the appropriate flag in the upper right hand corner of the page.

I checked a couple of spanish language newspaper sites that I read regularly and generally the 'printer friendly format' is simply 'imprimir'. A little less cumbersome.

Hmmmm.... I was a little let down that all the text for the descriptions are still in English though. I wonder if you can add a language pack to the site so the NON-English speaking can read the whole thing when you click on a flag ?

If you were to invent such a thing you'd make yourself rich. Currently computers aren't very good at translating languages. Heck, even people have disagreements, as evidenced by this thread. There are several companies that market machine translation software, but in spite of all their claims, none have been able to put people out of work yet.

I checked a couple of spanish language newspaper sites that I read regularly and generally the 'printer friendly format' is simply 'imprimir'. A little less cumbersome.

Cool. Thanks.

If you were to invent such a thing you'd make yourself rich. Currently computers aren't very good at translating languages. Heck, even people have disagreements, as evidenced by this thread. There are several companies that market machine translation software, but in spite of all their claims, none have been able to put people out of work yet.

Even so, a "literal translation" of our web pages might be better for our foreign friends than NO translation at all, don't you think ? I understand there may not be THAT big a demand, and I don't want to get too big for our britches yet, I am just thinking BIG for us. Yahoo has language packs on it, or do they hire someone to translate EACH web page for their different servers ? I seriously don't know this, that is why I am asking.

Edited by TJones

Yahoo has language packs on it, or do they hire someone to translate EACH web page for their different servers ? I seriously don't know this, that is why I am asking.

Yes, it does. All the large web sites do. They are charged for it by the word.

As for machine translation, there are already many services that do this. Google will auto-translate a web page for you in any of a dozen languages. People who live in non-English speaking countries are used to this and many of their Yahoo-style web portals do auto-translate if they detect a link to an English page. I see the translation engines crawling my sites all the time in the log files.

The point of doing human translations of the navigation portions of my web sites is to assist not only the non-English-speaking people who surf there, but also the translation engines in the various countries.

I've looked into having the descriptions translated into various languages, too, and it's just too expensive at this time. About $5-$10 per article, depending on the length. If anyone wants to do free human translations for me, I more thank welcome it. I built the database and the page rendering engine to accommodate this.

As for machine translation, there are already many services that do this. Google will auto-translate a web page for you in any of a dozen languages. People who live in non-English speaking countries are used to this and many of their Yahoo-style web portals do auto-translate if they detect a link to an English page. I see the translation engines crawling my sites all the time in the log files.

The point of doing human translations of the navigation portions of my web sites is to assist not only the non-English-speaking people who surf there, but also the translation engines in the various countries.

I've looked into having the descriptions translated into various languages, too, and it's just too expensive at this time. About $5-$10 per article, depending on the length. If anyone wants to do free human translations for me, I more thank welcome it. I built the database and the page rendering engine to accommodate this.

Translation software is good for single word work or just raw translation, however grammatical errors get involved quite a bit when you get into long phrasing and speeches. The free one's are just what they are, free. If you buy the big money one's, they do a better job grammarly, but there are still glitches at times. Believe me I here enough crap from my daughter, that's what she does for a living. UN translators make good money, and the more different languages they speak the more they get paid. Her specialties are middle eastern dialects.

Well, now you know why I want to learn "Technical Medical" spanish for a new career chane. The translations are brutal and nothing like you would expect. In techincal IT spanish, the words for various terminologies that would SEEM simple are a total pain.

More than happy to help you with some of those, time permitting.

Just let me know some of the pages/articles you would want first and I will start sending you some of them traslated to Spanish. I can do Italian too but for sure I don't sound close to a native speaker/writer (Hey, just like my English!).

Sera un placer poder ayudar al sitio hermano ArquitecturaChicago.