Farm Sinks For Kitchens

I think so. People view many old-fashioned things as representative of a simpler time, but with a flawed nostalgia that erases the drugery of old-fashioned housework. There's a subconscious belief/desire that having simple things will remove some of the complication from the contemporary American lifestyle. This doesn't actually work, but people will continue to spend money in hopes that it will. As long as this occurs, we'll continue to see reproductions of old plumbing fixtures and appliances

Interesting to note that most original "farm sinks" had exposed plumbing, since concealed plumbing was considered "unsanitary." Modern reproductions conceal the plumbing, since it is considered "tacky" or "unfinished".

I have always liked farmhouse sinks, but the cost kept me away. One of my neighbors pointed me to this one (on overstock.com of all places), which they just purchased for their kitchen. I love it in stainless, and it should go well with out wall-mounted faucet.

L10509486.jpg

I don't know if they're impractical. Maybe I would see the limitations if I owned one.

When I think about it, I'd love to have a large open concept sink. Then, I can put any sized bucket in there to divide the space as needed. The sink might actually fit a pan with its handle and everything.

I bought a double sink. I imagine I'd rather have more control of the division of space; the farmhouse or single pan sink would allow this.

If you consider the original purpose of double sinks, apron sinks may actually be MORE practical than the doubles. Double sinks were designed to have soapy water in one side, and rinse water in the other, for the purpose of washing pots, pans and dishes. Since the advent of dishwashers, few people use the double sink for that purpose anymore. In that sense, the large single bay sink may be more useful.

I have a hybrid sink, with a small vegetable sink on one side, and a large sink for dishes on the other. The large sink is definitely better for storing several weeks worth of dirty dishes.

• The title was changed to Farm Sinks For Kitchens

Archived