Old N. MacGregor alignment finally closed off

The old alignment of N. MacGregor to the east of 288 has finally been closed off. Normally, this would be nothing special to report, but this incident seems to be kind of hilarious. The old abandoned street had been a notorious dumping ground for trash, and dropped trailers. Someone dropped a trailer there a few weeks ago, and now, the road is not accessible to any traffic. Curbs have been placed on the ends of the street. I know the trucking company that dropped the trailer there is pissed, even though they were in the wrong. Maybe over the years it will become the "lost trailer of N. MacGregor Way"? "Come see the trailer doomed to spend the rest of its life on a closed off abandoned road, $5 admission folks!" :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

There was a similar street just north of W. Bellfort on the east side of where it meets Beltway 8. The road branched off of W. Bellfort and was a shortcut to the belt. It shut down a few years ago for the same reason. This road was outright scary at night....trees on both sides about 10-15 feet tall...trash...no one around for at least a mile. It was destined to be murder site or for dumping of bodies.

I think it is still accessable on foot but I wouldn't reccommend checking it out.

Map shows it to be Ruffino Rd., which looks to still be open, as it's the only access point to Houston Hills Golf Course.

I saw that as well - however, if you look at it through maps.live.com, you can see that the portion coming off W Bellfort does appear to be closed. Sort of strange, really, as it looks as if they only access to the golf course is now from the feeder? I wonder if it had something to do with people cutting through for a short cut?

Link

Wait, are you reffering to the access road that went to nothing, or the other road in that area named North MacGregor?

You know, I used to be perplexed as to why there were two N. MacGregors. One day, I found an old map and discovered that South MacGregor did not previously run all the way to Almeda Rd on the southern bank of the bayou. Ok, now imagine you're driving westbound on South MacGregor Way from Scott St towards Ardmore. This is prior to 1960. After you cross the old Southern Pacific tracks, you come to a left curve and to your left is the Wright Morrow mansion. Then, South MacGregor Way curves to the right shortly after passing the Wright Morrow mansion and crosses Brays Bayou. After you cross the bayou, you come to N. MacGregor Way. If you keep straight, the street turns into N MacGregor Way. If you turn right, it turns into N MacGregor Dr and takes you into Hermann Park.

Here's a crude map I made of the route of the original MacGregors and other original streets superimposed over existing structures before the bayou was rechanneled in 1960 and 288 construction took out a number of streets in the late 70s. Some vestiges of old N. MacGregor Dr., MacGregor Way, and Carson Ct. still exist today.

oldriversidestreets.jpg

You know, I used to be perplexed as to why there were two N. MacGregors. One day, I found an old map and discovered that South MacGregor did not previously run all the way to Almeda Rd on the southern bank of the bayou. Ok, now imagine you're driving westbound on South MacGregor Way from Scott St towards Ardmore. This is prior to 1960. After you cross the old Southern Pacific tracks, you come to a left curve and to your left is the Wright Morrow mansion. Then, South MacGregor Way curves to the right shortly after passing the Wright Morrow mansion and crosses Brays Bayou. After you cross the bayou, you come to N. MacGregor Way. If you keep straight, the street turns into N MacGregor Way. If you turn right, it turns into N MacGregor Dr and takes you into Hermann Park.

Here's a crude map I made of the route of the original MacGregors and other original streets superimposed over existing structures before the bayou was rechanneled in 1960 and 288 construction took out a number of streets in the late 70s. Some vestiges of old N. MacGregor Dr., MacGregor Way, and Carson Ct. still exist today.

oldriversidestreets.jpg

Correct, it has confused long time Houstonian's for decades just like (even worse) Breaswood area.

One day you can be driving around the U of H / bayou area and wonder why everyone is honking at you going the wrong way. :o:ph34r:

Now who would be crazy enough to do such a thing. :blush: