Neighborhood Maps

couchsong

Can anyone direct me to a place that has an overall map of houston with distinct neighborhood seperations. So that I can see how they fit together, where they meet up etc. I wish you guys could see Augusta Maine which is where I am from. It is the capital of maine but it's population is around

18,000 people. There are like four areas or "Neighborhoods" and it takes about 5 minutes to drive across. It is going to be a culture shock for me for sure.

Can't wait to see some details neighborhood maps.

InnerLoop-Map-Newest%20edit.gif

Based on your prior post, I'm guessing you're mainly interested in the general area shown above. The location you mentioned as being where your work would be located is about where the "P" is in the Allen Parkway area above.

The problem is that what constitutes a "neighborhood" is a fairly loose and subjective concept in a city the size of Houston. "Allen Parkway", for example, is a road that runs along the bayou heading west of downtown, and not many people think of "Allen Parkway" as a neighborhood per se.

Based on your prior post, I'm guessing you're mainly interested in the general area shown above. The location you mentioned as being where your work would be located is about where the "P" is in the Allen Parkway area above.

The problem is that what constitutes a "neighborhood" is a fairly loose and subjective concept in a city the size of Houston. "Allen Parkway", for example, is a road that runs along the bayou heading west of downtown, and not many people think of "Allen Parkway" as a neighborhood per se.

I think that area is considered an extension of The Heights, either Memorial Heights or Washington Heights.

City of Houston "Super Neighborhood" Map

This is how the City of Houston perceives it's various neighborhoods. With in all of these are numerous subdivisions though, some of which stand out all on their own.

Remember, this is just for the neighborhoods inside the city limits. You can try a Houston Key Map book to get an idea of some of the other outlying neighborhoods, particularly the ones in unincorporated areas (of which there are a lot).

This map should be used as a basic guide, but not taken as gospel. The boundaries of the above neighborhoods would more accurately be depicted as having fuzzy edges that blend into one another as there are no hard and fast rules as to where any of these "neighborhoods" begin and end other than the legal descriptions associated with the lots. Moreover, that map doesn't distinguish significant areas which I consider to be their own distinct neighborhoods such as the Sixth Ward, Fourth Ward, Rice Military, Timbergrove and Shady Acres.

That's pretty good... though I usually consider the "Rice" area a mixture of the Museum District, Rice U. and The Village... and the "Allen Parkway" area either Washington Heights, The Washington Ave. area... or the western part of it Rice Military.

Archived