Lindale St.

Hey everyone,

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I drove around on Sunday looking at some of the Eastside neighborhoods. I liked Lindale Park the most, mainly for its location north of I-10. Thanks to all who responded and took the time to suggest some addresses. I do still need to check out Glenview later in the week.

I did notice something I had to ask about. Even on the nicer streets, a number of homes have extensive fencing, grillwork, and bars over the windows. I even noticed several that had their carports completely enclosed by iron bars. While this is true of many inner-loop neighborhoods (including the Heights), I wanted to know if these are a meant as a visual deterrent to burglars, or if they are truly necessary for safety. I don't have much in the way of fancy electronics or jewelry, but I still wouldn't want my home broken into.

As the area continues to improve (as I assume it will), do you think these bars will still be necessary? I can tell from driving the streets in Lindale that there are many active homeowners that care for their homes very well. I wondered if the bars were leftovers from a rougher period of time in Lindale and the Height's history.

Thanks,

Danny

Hey everyone,

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I drove around on Sunday looking at some of the Eastside neighborhoods.  I liked Lindale Park the most, mainly for its location north of I-10.  Thanks to all who responded and took the time to suggest some addresses.  I do still need to check out Glenview later in the week.

I did notice something I had to ask about.  Even on the nicer streets, a number of homes have extensive fencing, grillwork, and bars over the windows.  I even noticed several that had their carports completely enclosed by iron bars.  While this is true of many inner-loop neighborhoods (including the Heights), I wanted to know if these are a meant as a visual deterrent to burglars, or if they are truly necessary for safety.  I don't have much in the way of fancy electronics or jewelry, but I still wouldn't want my home broken into.

As the area continues to improve (as I assume it will), do you think these bars will still be necessary?  I can tell from driving the streets in Lindale that there are many active homeowners that care for their homes very well.  I wondered if the bars were leftovers from a rougher period of time in Lindale and the Height's history.

Personally I  think it is a hold-over from a different time.  I have friends in Lindale & I am living there right now.  Any inner-loop neighborhood in Houston is not going to be Mayberry, but I have never had any problems.  Not to say it is crime free, I am sure it exists.  Many times, like in Glenbrook Valley, you have older people who bought burglar bars the way people now buy alarms.  It was just a given. 

Thanks,

Danny

• 2 weeks later...
Hey everyone,

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I drove around on Sunday looking at some of the Eastside neighborhoods.  I liked Lindale Park the most, mainly for its location north of I-10.  Thanks to all who responded and took the time to suggest some addresses.  I do still need to check out Glenview later in the week.

I did notice something I had to ask about.  Even on the nicer streets, a number of homes have extensive fencing, grillwork, and bars over the windows.  I even noticed several that had their carports completely enclosed by iron bars.  While this is true of many inner-loop neighborhoods (including the Heights), I wanted to know if these are a meant as a visual deterrent to burglars, or if they are truly necessary for safety.  I don't have much in the way of fancy electronics or jewelry, but I still wouldn't want my home broken into.

As the area continues to improve (as I assume it will), do you think these bars will still be necessary?  I can tell from driving the streets in Lindale that there are many active homeowners that care for their homes very well.  I wondered if the bars were leftovers from a rougher period of time in Lindale and the Height's history.

Thanks,

Danny

Hey everyone,

Thanks,

Danny

Lindale has been a nice neighborhood for a LONG time.  My aunt has lived there since the 50's.  What has really helped them is that many local and state representatives live in the neighborhood (martinez, davila, sylvia garcia, etc).  Crime did get bad, however its reputation has been there for a long time.  I hate burglar bars as well.  A safety hazard to me.  I think the worst think i saw was the development of businesses along irvington.  To me many are eyesores...but this is Houston.  There used to be a man on Irvington and one of the cross streets that made/had some beautiful bird houses. 

• 1 month later...

I believe a holdover from a rougher period. Most Lindale Park residents have been there a LONG time (look at HCAD records)....presumably put up bars in the old and just never took them down.

I understand area still has it's crime, but concerned residents and neighborhood pride are helping change it for the better.

HCAD appears to have reduced their market and appraised values in Lindale Park for 2005.  I suspected there was a bit of a bubble over there.....

No, houses still move well over there. From what I have heard from a couple of residents in there is their tax appraisals went up, but they were successful in fighting them.

No, houses still move well over there.  From what I have heard from a couple of residents in there is their tax appraisals went up, but they were successful in fighting them.

I've been watching the listings....they seem to be loafing around longer than they were.

Nobody has protested their 2005 values yet....HCAD hasn't even sent out value notices yet.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

In today's Chron...

Townhomes planned for Lindale Park are alternatives to Heights, Montrose...

>>Adan Quality Homes plans to build a townhome project near Lindale Park. This gated residential community, dubbed Oaks on Sharman, will contain 12 townhomes starting at $189,000. The site is at 4611 Sharman near Cavalcade and Interstate 45.<<

I lived in Lindale Park between '86 and '92.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/busine...ff/3500234.html

Townhouses in Lindale is a logical next step. First, you have a decent location with decent housing stock, a few pioneers buy there, the word spreads, the area gets turned around (this intial wave could take many years) then, when it looks safe, the townhouses move in along with thousands of new people. Plus, the BRT might help accelerate it.

This will probably cause eventual spillovers into the surrounding area which I think is good. There seems to be a sweet spot market for the under-200K 3bd, 2bth townhouse so all inner-loop areas will likely get their turn at being the next hot place. I spoke to a guy with Millenium Homes a few weeks ago and he said they're always looking for inner-loop land, but just don't want to be the first ones there. They've been building in Rice Military/Lower Heights and the land costs have pushed some of their units over 300K, where just a few years ago, that was a cheap, rundown area.

• 1 month later...
go to the Lindale Park website & go to the home gallery. There is a lot of things over there people are referring to as Lindale which really aren't.

My understanding is that the general area surrounding Lindale Park is referred to as Lindale.

As for the photo gallery, I would say it is representative of the architecture of the houses over there, but not the condition. Many of the houses are pretty bad looking.

• The title was changed to Lindale St.