Does this look familiar to anyone

Oh, I wish it was higher resolution. There's probably a house number on the column, can't read it. The car in front of the Ford is a pre-55 Chevy, I think. That dates the picture to early 70s at the latest, by then there weren't all that many 50s cars driving around. It looks like an area that was down at heel, so that might explain the clunker, and the not-terribly-new appearance of the Ford. Behind the picket gate on the right appears to be some kind of brick structure. There's a TV antenna, a fairly large one, which puts the pic in the pre-cable days. The house next door to the right has a slate roof! And of course the photo is taken from an unpaved driveway or alley. I can buy Midtown, or east of Montrose, or even the Cherryhurst area that long ago. I can also imagine this being some parts of Galveston.

Why don't you send it to Swamplot and let the neighborhood guessers take a crack at it?

http://swamplot.com

They have a neighborhood guessing game where people try to guess the location of a house based on interior (yes, I said "interior") photos from a HAR listing. It's fun, and some of the people are highly perceptive and knowledgeable.

BUT, this is a slightly different thing, so if it were me, I would send an e-mail to the blog owner and ask him if he would be willing to post the pic and ask the question. Not to be a jerk or anything, but remember that you are asking for a favor when you compose the e-mail, and if it's not going to be fun for the readers they won't bother with it. I certainly wouldn't ask about a bunch of photos unless they ask for more.

Does anyone know the whereabouts of this house? I have no idea how old the photo is, my guess would be 50's or 60's. It would be great if someone recognized it. I have been curious for years. I have attached a photo (I hope)

I'm willing to bet a sixpack of your favorite that it's in the 4th ward, in the Freedmen's Town area just west of downtown. Somewhere along or near West Gray or West Dallas.

Archived