I'm a good shopper and I love to buy cars, but I hate buying jewelry, because, unlike cars (or houses or appliances) you NEVER know if you're getting a good deal because everything is unique and uncomparable. But Mother's Day is coming up and Mrs Cottonmather0 is now a mother and she loves the jewelry.

She lost a small pair of yellow gold sapphire ear studs last year and I think that would be a good surprise gift "from" our 1-yr old. I'm looking to pay up to $500 but think that's a bit more than would be necessary.

I have a store that I've gone to a couple of times in the past - that I won't name here - but I'm open to suggestions or tips if any fellow HAIF'ers have one to make.

Did I mention that I hate buying jewelry?

Edited by cottonmather0

I've heard many good things about Nazar's on Westheimer. Years ago, my favorite was the old Houston Jewelry Company - don't know much about them since they reorganized and reopened as a smaller store.

The ones I wouldn't set foot in are those that are constantly advertising a special sale, or the big-name chain jewelry stores with a location in every mall in the country. Also, the "fine jewelry" areas in department stores generally are leased departments owned by one of a handful of companies.

If you are buying sapphires, be aware that many of them on the market today are originally stones of pale color that have been "enhanced" to give them a deeper, more desirable hue. Also, the sapphires in much mass-produced fine jewelry are lab-created instead of natural. An honest jeweler - preferably one with gemologist certification - will tell you the truth when you are shopping.

I bought my wife's engagement ring from I.W. Marks. It's OK. I got good value for my money. If you know a lot about diamonds you'll see they do have some very high quality stones, but I think they stock everything for every budget.

Still, I regret not buying it from Tiffany or Cartier. I keep telling myself I'll get her a "proper" ring to replace it some day. But if the brands aren't important to you (they are to her), then you'll get a good value for your money.

Thanks for all of the replies. I do indeed know enough to stay away from the mass-produced chain stores and the like.

The place that I have gone a couple of times is Michael Klein's Fine Jewelers on Westheimer. The merchandise was nice enough, but the place feels like it's just on this side of the Sopranos crossed with a frat house with all of the sports memorabilia and televised sporting events and the pressuring salesmen. I know I overpaid the first time I went in there, but the second time I eventually paid 60% of that he was asking for some diamond ear studs, which, while I haggled him down, as I said in the OP I have no idea whether it was actually a good deal.

Mother's Day is Sunday and I have Thursday off of work, so I'll be shopping that morning.

Blech.

I buy my wife's jewelry at two places:

1) Nazars - Westheimer @ Fountainview. I've always been very comfortable there. They have amazing jewelry...but not a lot in the $500 price range. His stuff is beautiful, though. Our wedding rings came from Nazar's, along with a few other select pieces.

2) Sam's Club. Believe it or not, they have good prices on some decent jewelry. Especially in the price range you're talking about. They don't have the widest selection, but try different Sam's Clubs...they all seem to have different stuff. Be forewarned...I believe they laser inscribe all their diamonds. My wife won't buy a diamond there. However, I've bought her many colorful gemstones there.

Not sure if this will reach you in time ...

Past Era on Westheimer at Kirby has great antique jewelry. I bought my wife's engagement ring there. They are expensive, but you can try to bargain. I got them to knock off about $200-300.

I had her wedding ring custom made at Box and Box in Rice Village. I'm not sure the address, but you can google them. They make really great custom stuff, and I found them to be quite reasonable. They also have jewelry already made.

Good luck....

I actually did go to Nazars and bought just what I wanted for $325 which was 31% off of the $475 he initially asked for. I would have paid more for a nicer pair (slightly bigger and deeper color) that he showed me but he wouldn't come off of his asking price by a similar ratio.

I am actually very pleased, Mrs Cottonmather0 will be happy when she opens her gift from her son on Sunday morning. I am sure that what I bought isn't the fanciest-shmanciest quality jewelry but I honestly can't tell the difference between stuff aside from the obvious size differences - and I would argue that most people can't unless they look really really close - so I don't really see the point of paying extra for something so utterly subjective and non-fungible.

But again, I am pleased.

The whole experience was very much like buying a car: he threw out a number, I threw out a much lower number, he bitched and moaned, I held firm, he bitched and moaned some more, he came down a lot, I came up a tiny little bit, he hit my bid (that's trader talk for "accepted my offer"), and I took home some earrings.

Haggling is fun!

Edited by cottonmather0

• 4 weeks later...

I grew up in the business. My father would turn over in his grave if I paid retail for jewelery.

I've been very impressed with Pamela Wright at Wright Pawn and Jewelry on Westheimer. She and her husband Jack have been running the place for years. Drop by and browse; this is not like any pawn shop you've ever been in.