Modern accoutrements(s) -- Ideas?

Remodeling a house in the heights. Giving it a modern theme inside. Not going too crazy...but who knows. Half the walls are open. Just started tile work in the bathrooms. Thinking of doing the raised bowl look for sinks and some cutesy faucets. Cant really think of what other subtle things will give it that "look"...

Going stainless in the kitchen, nobless dark-wood cabinetry.

Lighting is canned/recessed throughout.

Windows already have new, standard metal blinds. moo...

Flooring in living/dining/br's is an old oak wood laminate. I think it'd look hot with a refinish.

Ideas for...

Wall texture? Paint colours?

Baseboards? sounds nitpicky, but those classic molding is old fashioned.

any other small stuff yall can think of?

THANKS!

Windows already have new, standard metal blinds. moo...

if the moo means you don't like, those are easily replaceable.

Flooring in living/dining/br's is an old oak wood laminate. I think it'd look hot with a refinish.

when you say old laminate, are you saying that it's not the original floor? I'm not sure just any laminate can be refinished.

Ideas for...

Wall texture? Paint colours?

for wall texture, i would say minimal texture would probably meet your criteria. Colors? that's harder to recommend without seeing what you're going to put in each room. and bright white is always modern IMO.

Baseboards? sounds nitpicky, but those classic molding is old fashioned.

uber modern tends to be plain with respect to mouldings, however removing them from an older heights structure sure removes character. before i'd remove them, i would consider painting them so they aren't as obvious. perhaps, the same color as the walls just with a finish that is more glossy than the walls. The items you put in a room can give it the modern look without compromising the structure's character.

take some pics if you can.

I'm noticing that high gloss paint for walls, not just trim, is popular and very dramatic in a modern space. But you need to have a good surface or really good painting technique since the gloss is pretty unforgiving.

Just my 2 cents, but those raised bowl things for sinks are already dated and very Carmella Soprano Contemporary. I think a lip-less (not sure of the term) basin is more modern.

I'm noticing that high gloss paint for walls, not just trim, is popular and very dramatic in a modern space. But you need to have a good surface or really good painting technique since the gloss is pretty unforgiving.

Just my 2 cents, but those raised bowl things for sinks are already dated and very Carmella Soprano Contemporary. I think a lip-less (not sure of the term) basin is more modern.

I agree about the raised bowls. I've always thought they looked silly, and now I think they look silly and a little dated. JMHO.

I assume you are looking through magazines for ideas? Dwell is an obvious choice, but one you might not think of is Elle Decor. The aesthetic is decidedly modern and they feature some really interesting houses. You might spot something unusual that you could try.

Thanks guys. Not so much on magazines, mainly google. also looking through pics of trendy hotels I've stayed in.

As far as this whole theme, certainly not trying to go fully minimalistic or uber contempo. Just doing whatever I like with the idea of nice resale in 5-7 yrs.

Raised bowls is iffy now, Im loving this style:

Minimal-80.jpg

Please go crazy with the pics guys, if yall have some--post up

as far as pics of the house, im taking some, but they are parceled out on dif cams and laptops. ill try to make a thread once it gets closer to completion.

I think a lip-less (not sure of the term) basin is more modern.

I think the term you may be looking for is "undermount".

Just doing whatever I like with the idea of nice resale in 5-7 yrs.

Modern in a Heights bungalow is likely not going to help resale in 5-7 years. While a blending of modern and craftsman can produce a pleasing juxtaposition, it is often a situation of "looks good...but not in my house". Likewise, a faithful restoration can look fantastic, but be less desirable, since modern conveniences are left out. Best resale comes from tasteful updates, while retaining the architecture and character of the original house. In that sense, stainless appliances and granite are fine, but replacing the trim and doors with modern is bad.

....just an opinion from a bungalow owner.

Note to flipper: Where did you get the teak stool for the shower?

Sorry, jc. Just an assumption on my part. If you live in one of the ranches that surround the Heights, modern would seem to go extremely well there, and likely would add to resale.

Oh, and as for wall texture, if you can go completely smooth, that looks the coolest. I did my bathroom this way. But, like crunch said, smooth walls and glossy paint are very unforgiving on flaws. A neat look on baseboards is to go with a straignt 4 inch or 6 inch board with no curves or routered edges. It looks even better if it is flush with the wall with a square channel between the baseboard and the wall.

Part of the modern idiom is beauty of the materials. Thus the lack of molding because it means that there is nothing to hide. Costs more because your sheet rock guys have to be more careful and precise. I mean really precise. Baseboards, I like the look 1x4s. No need for fancy molding. Just plain and honest. One of my favorite architects, Louis Kahn, made sure to design rooms so that tile didn't have to be cut. That's awesome. Don't know if that worth it for a house, but its details like that which makes a "modern" house.

Archived