Food rationing returns to America

editor

I realize that there are valid national security concerns and that the Africans themselves have infrastructure problems, but classical economics tells us that both countries (and I group 'Africa' as one big country for arguments sake) would benefit from freeing up agricultural trade.

Yes, I understand completely, but I still think agriculture is too important to leave up to the specialized division of labor. If they decide they don't like us it could take a while to grow our own replacements of staples like rice etc.

And energy?...like the oil we buy from the African continent for our energy (hem) starved nation?

Yeah, it seems like we are pretty caught out when it comes to finding substitute ways of getting around. Now we get to sit and wait for technology to play catch up.

America prefers to subsidize it's own farmers and block imports.

nafta sure didn't help mexico. we subsidize our corn farmers, mexico doesn't so many have been forced out of biz because they can buy corn cheaper from the US. prices have zoomed up in mexico. can you say protest?

This really doesn't affect me as I am not a big rice eater to start with, but I think it is of a startling nature to hear about food rationing in this country. It's one of those Say What ? kinda moments. Like what is REALLY going on here?

We're not just talking rice. There is a global grain shortage. Grain is used to feed animals. So, if you eat meat, it will have an impact on your wallet.

On supply-demand basis, this might quell some of the strain on grain (if people were to back off eating meat because it became cost prohibitive). However, since Americans spend relatively little (I think about 7% on average) for food, and several developing economies are on a roll, I don't see the the carnivore population reverting to beans for their protein intake in the near future.

We're not just talking rice. There is a global grain shortage. Grain is used to feed animals. So, if you eat meat, it will have an impact on your wallet.

On supply-demand basis, this might quell some of the strain on grain (if people were to back off eating meat because it became cost prohibitive). However, since Americans spend relatively little (I think about 7% on average) for food, and several developing economies are on a roll, I don't see the the carnivore population reverting to beans for their protein intake in the near future.

Not a vegetarian yet, but don't eat a lot of meat. But yeah, my specific comment was geared towards rice. Are there runs on other grains coming too?

I think people have screwed with things too much out of good intentions, only to make it worse.

MHO.

Do you have this has anything to do with them stockpiling seeds in that vault up in the arctic? Is there something we are not privvy to that is coming or is already upon us with worldwide grain and food production?

Do you have this has anything to do with them stockpiling seeds in that vault up in the arctic? Is there something we are not privvy to that is coming or is already upon us with worldwide grain and food production?

Not to sure about that, but I do think there has been prep for doomsday since the beginning of time.

But if they could get this Ethanol crap stopped with some sort of injunction, I think it could help the food crisis. If gas prices get too high or we can't produce enough oil, people can always walk or ride a bike. You run out of grain, food prices skyrocket, riots occur and people die.

The production of Ethanol is not helping the enviroment any or mpg. And I think that was the original intention.

Once again, MHO.

Bingo. The increased standard of living and more meat-heavy diets of people in places like China is a huge driver in energy and food costs generally.

Corn, wheat, rice.....Wheat prices have basically doubled (bigger increases than corn or rice), and supplies were already lower than usual due to bad crops last year. Fuel and grain prices can make a vicious inflation circle.

I think she was referring to agricultural and energy policy.

The seeds are there in case of a global disaster that causes massive crop failure. Think of a Yellowstone eruption, think of an asteroid impact, think of nuclear war, think of some disease that wipes out a particular crop.

EDIT: She beat me to the punch. But I was right (as usual).

Not a vegetarian yet, but don't eat a lot of meat. But yeah, my specific comment was geared towards rice. Are there runs on other grains coming too?

No, there are not. But inflation is rampant in agricultural markets, too, just like energy. There are no shortages and there likely will not be in our lifetimes, but all of the tinkering with biofuels and energy markets has caused problems that will need to be solved and adapted to all over the world.

The production of Ethanol is not helping the enviroment any or mpg. And I think that was the original intention.

One of many cases where the "problem" is not the problem, but the Big Government solution to the "problem."

One of many cases where the "problem" is not the problem, but the Big Government solution to the "problem."

You can't single out 'Big Government.' Big Oil and Big Agra saw ethanol as an exceptionally PR-friendly alternative to gasoline, talked it up with their friends Big Auto, and then Big Government got on board with Big Subsidy.

I think the bottom line is: it's a gasoline alternative that has turned out to be a bad alternative.

You can't single out 'Big Governemnt.' Big Oil saw ethanol as an exceptionally PR-friendly alternative to gasoline, talked it up with their friends Big Auto, and then Big Government got on board with Big Subsidy.

Big Oil? Not nearly as influential on this one as Big Corn.

And Big Pharma.

Big Pharma is a great example to use when anyone suggests that the division of labor should solve all of our problems. Yeah, we could solve all of Africa's problems for a penny a pill, but we like to wait until guilt-tripped into it.

Do it now or do it later, but do it sometime. We can't be hooked on oil forever.

Archived