Southside Medical Plaza At 7700 South Main St.

Just drove by the Residence Inn at the corner of South Braeswood and South Main and noticed that it was partially reduced to a pile of sticks. Anyone have an idea of what is going in here? It seems like a fairly decent size parcel----if it's going to be another apartment complex, do me a favor and don't tell me.

• Like 1

Just drove by the Residence Inn at the corner of South Braeswood and South Main and noticed that it was partially reduced to a pile of sticks. Anyone have an idea of what is going in here? It seems like a fairly decent size parcel----if it's going to be another apartment complex, do me a favor and don't tell me.

Land near that intersection is being marketed for $175 per square foot. At that price, it cannot be apartments. That's not to say that the actual market value will be quite that high, but even then, triple digit land pricing is hard to overcome.

That was first opened as a Marriott Courtyard. The units were apartment-like. I've noticed some construction between Kroger and S. Braeswood, but I'm not sure what it's going to be. I'm sure it will be some form of retail.

That was first opened as a Marriott Courtyard. The units were apartment-like. I've noticed some construction between Kroger and S. Braeswood, but I'm not sure what it's going to be. I'm sure it will be some form of retail.

There is a new standard-looking retail strip going in across from Kroger, but no sign of what will be in there. I guess there needs to be some new retail in the area with the new apartments going in where Garden Ridge was.

I drive by the Residence Inn on my way to work, so I'll keep an eye out.

Considering there is a CVS at 9838 Buffalo, putting it on the site of the former Residence Inn would be too close.

There's one even closer, at Kirby and Main. So that would sort of be just across the street.

hmm - okay. HCAD lists the property address as 7700 Main.

Then there are the following permits:

03/20/2008

OFFICE /PUBLIC CORRIDOR /PUBLIC RESTROOM BUILD-OUT 1-4-2-B-B 100%

Owner / Occupant:

UNITY CLINIC INC

Job Address:

7700 MAIN ST 310

Buyer:

HOK ENTERPRISES INC

4/11/2008

DEMO BLDG SEWER DISC (#'S 23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,&34)

Owner / Occupant:

RESIDENCE INN BY MARRIOTT

Job Address:

7710 MAIN ST

Buyer:

KMAC DEMOLITION OF HOUSTON

4/22/2008

NEW COMMERICAL POOL FOR HOTEL

Owner / Occupant:

RESIDENCE INN BY MARRIOTT

Job Address:

7710 MAIN ST

Buyer:

WATTS POOL CO

So the office build-out could be for an adjoining building on site that is not being demolished, but what about the pool permit dated two days ago?

7700 S. Main St. is the recent office building next door at the corner of Braeswood.

The pool at the Residence Inn is at the front center of the complex. I haven't driven by recently, so I'm not sure what was torn down. I'm shocked that they are tearing down 12 buildings. They have 36 or 37 if I remember correctly. (I worked there while in college.) I thought it might be possible that they could be building a new, more modern building on the property - a multi-story building with interior corridors and elevators. The largest rooms in this complex are 2-story units on the second floor. Not really accessible to everyone, particular medical center patients. However, I think that they would need to take down more than just those buildings in order to have room to build. I guess they could build it in phases so as to not eliminate too many rooms from inventory at one time. The occupancy there used to be pretty high because of location and amenities offered.

I worked there..........what........27 years ago when it first opened. It was Residence Inn from the beginning. The concept was really good, small units with tiny kitchens or two story studios with fireplace and full kitchen. The front units were occupied while the ones farther back were being built. The construction people were from up north, mostly young, and pretty wild. Crazy times back then. I actually remember some of them.

• 5 months later...
I worked there..........what........27 years ago when it first opened. It was Residence Inn from the beginning. The concept was really good, small units with tiny kitchens or two story studios with fireplace and full kitchen. The front units were occupied while the ones farther back were being built. The construction people were from up north, mostly young, and pretty wild. Crazy times back then. I actually remember some of them.

Looks like Hurricane Ike dropped a tower crane onto the site while we weren't looking. Something is going in, but I'm still not sure what is planned.

• The title was changed to Southside Medical Plaza At 7700 South Main St.