Today in Texas history

crunchtastic

Happy San Jacinto day! On this day in 1836 we defeated Santa Anna for good.

Too bad I'm eating lunch at my desk, instead of in San Antonio at Fiesta. Now that's a festival.

(edit: Fiesta SA is the 2-week long, yearly festival commemorating Texas independence)

Happy San Jacinto day! On this day in 1836 we defeated Santa Anna for good.

Too bad I'm eating lunch at my desk, instead of in San Antonio at Fiesta. Now that's a festival.

Too bad I'm stuck at work tonight. I usually try to dine at Monument Inn on April 21sts.

I remember when this was a school holiday in the 70s and early 80s. .

Somebody should tell the Houston Chronicle. What a sorry excuse for a newspaper.

Though it's no substitute for having something in print, I did put up a brief blog post marking the day.

I like your Bayou City History Blog, I especially enjoyed the pic of the crowd outside the music hall in 1952 where the Fed Bldg. now stands. Very Cool !

Thanks! I have some pretty cool photos going up in the next couple of weeks, so it should be interesting.

I remember when this was a school holiday in the 70s and early 80s. .

Somebody should tell the Houston Chronicle. What a sorry excuse for a newspaper.

Don't you know it's not pc to celebrate this holiday anymore?

I mentioned it to seniors at the high school I teach at and half of them didn't even know what it was.

I mentioned it to seniors at the high school I teach at and half of them didn't even know what it was.

That is extremely funny. Yes, very funny. :lol:

I would crack up if that monument finally tipped over like a teapot. When we were kids we only cared to get on the Battleship Texas other than that the monument was just a thing to ride up on. Never recall anyone ever saying a thing about all the corpses in them there fields. By golly gee wiz.

Most visitors that go there have no clue either. By the way the battleship itself is in dire need of $$$ to be restored. It is on the endangered list, serious.

That is extremely funny. Yes, very funny. :lol:

I would crack up if that monument finally tipped over like a teapot. When we were kids we only cared to get on the Battleship Texas other than that the monument was just a thing to ride up on. Never recall anyone ever saying a thing about all the corpses in them there fields. By golly gee wiz.

I'm not sure I get the direction of your sarcasm. I don't think there were any corpses left in the fields.

I meant the bodies underground from the battle thats all, sorry. I was rushed. :)

I don't think there would be that many scattered bodies. I'm pretty sure they would have gathered up and buried any dead bodies. But I think most of the enemy in that battle was forced into Buffalo Bayou.

Your post seems like it was written when you were drunk.

Archived