Carport repair recommendations?

My carport is in dire need of repair, and I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good contractor. It's integrally attached to the house, not freestanding, and whoever built it overengineered some parts and underengineered others. An example: they used large steel I-beams crosswise for the main frame, but 2x4s going the other direction. Predictably, the I-beams aren't going anywhere any time soon, but several of the 2x4s have rotted due to the roof leaking.

The roof is the main problem. Instead of using proper decking and shingles, the builder opted to pour tar over the wood deck installed on top of the I-beams and 2x4s. It already had a couple of minor leaks when we bought the house, so we knew it would eventually need to be replaced. It's leaking like a sieve in multiple places now, and the deck under the leaks is rotting along with the 2x4s. Several of the steel supports holding the structure up on the side not attached to the house have also rusted at the base and need replacement. There's also a gutter running along the same side as the steel supports that would need replacement as well.

I got an estimate several years ago of about $3500 from the roofing company that put a new roof on the rest of the house to take down the entire carport and build a new one. Several other major repairs to other parts of the house were necessary in the interim, so the carport got put on the back burner until now. I think the basic framework is sound once the steel supports and some of the 2x4s are replaced, so I'm leaning toward a partial reconstruction as opposed to tearing the whole thing down, but at minimum the poured tar roof's gotta go. It's not quite a flat roof, but it would be difficult to increase the pitch any more without getting rid of the framework. A regular decking-and-shingles roof that matches the rest of the house would be a major improvement.

I'm in the Heights/Northside area, but am open to suggestions for contractors from anywhere.

• 1 year later...
Hi, I was in a similar situation a few months back when I needed a carport but was unable to find a good installer. It was when my friend Jack referred me to http://www.classiccarports.com/ that I actually got what I was looking for. They have done an excellent job in installing my carport and I suggest you the same, as their after sales services are excellent. They are experts in building carports and other metallic structures.

Thank you, classiccarports.com representative.

Thank you, classiccarports.com representative.

:lol:

Seeing this thread resurrected made me realize it's been a year since my original post, and I still haven't gotten around to getting the carport rebuilt. Most of last year was pretty intense work-wise, but I hadn't realized the time had flown by quite so quickly. :ph34r:

I would like a carport as well. I have had a couple of quotes ranging in the $4,500 to $5,500 price range. The deminsions I want are 12' wide x 22' long with a storage unit built in - 6' x 12'.

I need to start looking around again.

I would like a carport as well. I have had a couple of quotes ranging in the $4,500 to $5,500 price range. The deminsions I want are 12' wide x 22' long with a storage unit built in - 6' x 12'.

I need to start looking around again.

Toolman, I recently got back into the home building and remodeling business. THIS is THE best product on the market, bar none. I would sell it to you myself, but my area does not cover Houston. It costs a little bit more, but it is worth it. I speak from experience, I have a carport built out of this myself.

http://www.buildingproductsusa.com/patiocoverpics.shtml