The Story of Stuff

Pumapayam

SOS_BUTTON.jpg

I saw this a few months back. With Earth Day around the corner, I thought this was appropriate, and really touches everything we knew about, yet, we REALLY don't know about.

The best 20 minutes you will ever spend, not lying.

Okay, watch and discuss. ^_^

Someone sent me this to watch a couple of months ago, and sorry, but frankly I thought it was one of the most smug, trite and annoying videos I had ever watched. I kept thinking, "This is 20 minutes of my life that has been wasted, and can never be replaced." It is much more political than documentary. Sorry, that was just my call on it.

I saw this a few months back. With Earth Day around the corner, I thought this was appropriate, and really touches everything we knew about, yet, we REALLY don\'t know about.

The best 20 minutes you will ever spend, not lying.

Okay, watch and discuss. ^_^

I stopped watching within the first minute or so. They used the term \"materials economy.\" As far as I can tell, the term is made up by environmentalists. It is not referenced in economics literature. They then tried to say that it was perfectly linear in a finite world, but the Law of Conservation of Mass renders that entirely implausible. That concept has been around in some form since the 13th century and was refined by the latter part of the 18th century. Then there was some senseless rhetoric based in Populism.

I\'ll say about these people what I\'ve said in the past about Global Warming alarmists. In 500 years, civilization is going to look back at our era and talk about environmentalism in the way that we look at the middle ages and talk about medicine. Only we won\'t have had the excuse of the fall of an Empire and rampant illiteracy. We might possibly be able to fall back on adherence to religion (enviro-mysticism) which would prevent us from seriously studying and discussing the matter in such a way as is sane and practical.

It is much more political than documentary. Sorry, that was just my call on it.

Whether or not it was intentional, she never mentions presidential names or political parties, so it really places the blame on government as a whole, with their lack of morality when it comes to being influenced by corporations.

But yes, it does seem that she is likely attacking Republicans, as I can just guess she is a liberal.

I stopped watching within the first minute or so.

You can't really judge it so soon, and really I can't see any harm that you see from watching a video to see someone else's opinion.

All she is stating is to choose your purchases more carefully.

Know what you are buying, where is comes from, and you know, if it has a scratch, keep it.

"No sense in buying a new one just because the frying pan has a dent on it". And really, we need to lay off the $0.99 cents stores.

All the non consumable stuff there is garbage.

It teaches us not to be so wasteful. We REALLY do have it good in America, and we do use more share of the resources than the rest of the world.

How can you argue against that?

You can't really judge it so soon, and really I can't see any harm that you see from watching a video to see someone else's opinion.

Know what you are buying, where is comes from, and you know, if it has a scratch, keep it.

"No sense in buying a new one just because the frying pan has a dent on it". And really, we need to lay off the $0.99 cents stores.

It teaches us not to be so wasteful. We REALLY do have it good in America, and we do use more share of the resources than the rest of the world.

There isn't so much harm in reading peoples' opinions on HAIF because it doesn't often take more than a minute or so. This is a 20-minute opinion. I have more important things to do, especially if there are warning signs early on that it's just going to be a nag-fest full of rhetoric and assertions that run counter to very basic scientific concepts.

Moreover, I don't need somebody to tell me that cosmetic depreciation of my stuff does not necessitate its replacement. All of my cookware is 20 or more years old and thoroughly dented, charred, and rusted. I don't need somebody to tell me not to shop at dollar stores. Priced by volume, most everything there is a rip-off. And I certainly don't need to be told that folks in the U.S. consume more goods than people in other countries, as though that's supposed to be a bad thing.

Whether or not it was intentional, she never mentions presidential names or political parties, so it really places the blame on government as a whole, with their lack of morality when it comes to being influenced by corporations.

But yes, it does seem that she is likely attacking Republicans, as I can just guess she is a liberal.

I suppose there's nothing wrong with a message about the value of being frugal, but I still found the tone annoying. She lost me at the beginning when she tossed away an iPod. Heretic! :lol:

• 5 years later...

Archived