Of China and Chairs, Mid Century Modern

Carla

Greetings All -

I'm in search of counsel and advice about Mid Century Modern household goods.

I'm a volunteer with a nonprofit in Houston, AssistHers, helping chronically ill and disabled women.

We received a bequest of some pretty things to sell to raise money, but we're baffled. We have Hutschenreuther china. (Say what?) I think it was never sold in the US, so there's no market for it, but somewhere there must be a collector who will love it. Though we have quite a bit of it, its not a coffeeteaandcreamWeb.jpgcomplete set. Except for some of the plates it's in good condition, and some looks brand new, though it dates from before 1967. So where would you go with this? The folks at Edish were helpful, but they're not buying this pattern (03630). Ebay is an option but we'd like to get the best price we can - this money buys groceries. Any suggestions? Where would I find the people who would love this? You can see more of it at http://picasaweb.google.com/CWebbles

The same questions apply to five brass chairs you can see at that same web site. We've been told they're Hollywood Regency, Mid Century Modern, Chiavari, etc,etc, etc. We think, because everything else in the estate was pre-1975, that these are too.

All suggestions deeply appreciated -

Carla

Why don't you put it on eBay and make it clear in the auction that it's for charity....you'll probably get more money that way.

You could try to find someone local to retail them for you, but they may want a cut of the action, and it'll probably take a while for them to sell in a retail setting.

If you don't want the ebay route, try Karen at The Mod Pod. She may lower her consignment rate for charity, esp a women's charity. Then it just depends how quick you need the money.

713-447-7171 the store address is 2337 1/2 Milam. The Mod Pod and Metro Modern.

The Modern Market is coming up at the end of the month. You could try taking it there and showing the different dealers and seeing what you could get. I know you'd like to skip the middleman and get it in the hands of the collector directly, but that may be tough to do at the price you want.

http://www.lawndaleartcenter.org/

Jason

Archived