Newbie House Owner Questions

We recently bought our first house (1993 vintage), we are new to all this and I have a few questions for anyone who can answer :-)

First, what is the purpose of the 1 inch gap between the house and the concrete patio out back? Is it some kind of drain, and does it matter if it gets filled with (mostly organic) material?

Also, when we bought the house the inspection found termites, which the sellers got treated. Should we be getting a yearly termite inspection and how likely is it that the termites will come back?

Last question: We have a large tree in the yard which looks like it is sending up shoots all over. I have no idea what kind of a tree it is, but there are what looks like roots coming up all over the lawn with leaves growing off them. Any way to stop this without cutting down the tree? If need be I could post photos later.

Thanks in advance!

The termite treatments are supposed to be good for approximately 7 years, at least the modern treatments are.

Its pretty simple to do an inspection if you know what to look for....primarly mud tubes going up the side of the slab...I spotted an infestation in a house that I looked at today, and I wasn't really looking that hard.

Of course you can also get infestations through cracks in the slab, which are much, much harder to spot, but those types of infestations are much harder for the pros to spot as well.

First, what is the purpose of the 1 inch gap between the house and the concrete patio out back? Is it some kind of drain, and does it matter if it gets filled with (mostly organic) material?

Organic gunk shouldn't be a problem. If it's ugly, see if you can culture something more appealing (e.g. moss). In my opininion, the gap is healthy because it allows the foundation slab and patio slab to float independently.

Also, when we bought the house the inspection found termites, which the sellers got treated. Should we be getting a yearly termite inspection and how likely is it that the termites will come back?

Regular inspections are a good idea.

Last question: We have a large tree in the yard which looks like it is sending up shoots all over. I have no idea what kind of a tree it is, but there are what looks like roots coming up all over the lawn with leaves growing off them. Any way to stop this without cutting down the tree? If need be I could post photos later.

There are a variety of trees that do this. Chopping the tree down may not stem your problem. The roots may have a life of their own. Killing the root system can be tough without flooding your property with poisons. Keep plucking those sprouts off. If you have kids, give them a nickle for everyone they nick.

the patio was most likely poured after the house foundation. without seeing a pic it would be hard to say whether it is a drain.

depending on the situation, surrounding the house the answer would vary. most modern treatments tend to push them to an untreated area vs killing them. my parents and their neighbor had termites go from one house to the other depending on who treated last. a yearly inspection would be prudent particularly if there has been a problem in the past.

is it a cypress by chance?

The one inch gap with "organic material" is most likely what is left of the 1"x 4" pinewood that was used as a frame for the patio slab that was poured. Nothing to worry about there.

I would say ditto on the 7 yr. termite thing, but since you KNOW you have a problem there, I would probably check it in 5yrs. just to be safe, and make sure you keep those bait traps full.

Your tree is sprouting shoots because it is underwatered. It is looking for water, most likely an oak, or elm, they drink alot. You are seeing the bigger roots because over the years the dirt has slowly eroded away down the front slope of the yard. As far as roots being a problem for your house, just remember this.................the roots of your tree are as big and spread out as the canopy (top) of your tree is. So, however far out the branches are reaching over the house right now, THAT is how far those roots have possibly branched out under the house.

That gap is a good thing, otherwise you could have cracks in your patio. I don't think it's a drain, if it is your patio is sloping the wrong way and your gutters don't work right. Seriously. If you don't like the way it looks, you can get some expansion joint materials at Lowes - foam strips and a latex/rubber/silicone filler of some sort - and fill it in yourself.

I agree that the tree is stressed. You need to poke some (a lot of) 1/2" - 1" holes 12-18" deep all around the yard and water that sucker good. It wouldn't hurt to fill those holes with kitty litter or gravel, too. You could also pay a tree service to come and deep-root water it as well. It should be pretty cheap.

depending on the situation, surrounding the house the answer would vary. most modern treatments tend to push them to an untreated area vs killing them.

I don't know what modern treatments you're talking about, but every termite company I talked to uses Termidor which kills 'em because they trapse right through treated soil without even knowing it.

I don't know what modern treatments you're talking about, but every termite company I talked to uses Termidor which kills 'em because they trapse right through treated soil without even knowing it.

yeah that's what they used at my parents....didn't work for 7 yrs

Thanks for the rapid replies!

The gap doesn't bother me, actually I quite like it, my only concern was that it gets clogged up with leaves. I didn't want to leave it not knowing what it was, like when I had water dripping from an A/C overflow for several months... and then through the ceiling.

I guess I will get a termite inspection, hopefully only for peace of mind :-)

As for the tree, I am thinking it is an oak of some kind. I will try getting it watered. You got me wondering more about those roots, though. I am guessing if they go under the house they could in time damage the slab? I have another tree, closer to the house, which has a huge root running along the surface of the lawn until about 3ft short of the house. My concern is what happens if it keeps going...

Thanks for the rapid replies!

As for the tree, I am thinking it is an oak of some kind. I will try getting it watered. You got me wondering more about those roots, though. I am guessing if they go under the house they could in time damage the slab? I have another tree, closer to the house, which has a huge root running along the surface of the lawn until about 3ft short of the house. My concern is what happens if it keeps going...

The likelihood that you will have foundation problems either now or in the future is about a 97.2% probability rating. Houston and the entire surrounding metroplex was built on a swamp and the ground and clay underneath is very porous which means unfortunately it succumbs to subsidence, pretty much no matter WHAT part of the city you live in, when you put tons of lumber and concrete on top of it. Roots are basically a problemary (I made a new word) byproduct of homes built 25 to 30 years ago, because we ALL love trees. I tell you this NOT to scare you, but just to let you know, everyone is in the same boat around town, in either a new or older home and it is merely one of the JOYS and pitfalls of homeownership here in Houston.

Archived