Mid-century Landscaping

lgg

While I think the concepts and designs are interesting, I am definitely not for ripping out native elements and contriving a new landscape - I favor the house respecting the surrounding elements.

There was an interesting article in the New York Times related to that and a FLW house:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...75AC0A9679C8B63

I think the article is dead wrong about mid-century landscapes. I have several books on landscape design from the 1950s. The spirit of the time seemed to favor informal landscapes (no trees in grids) with plant palettes determined by ease of maintainence, and plant placement determined by existing conditions such as climate and orientation. Emphasis is also placed on highlighting contrasts in texture, as well as the creation of additional texture through the use of dappled light and shadows.

In the post-WWII baby boom, there was a greater emphasis placed on family life. Therefore, homes become more internal, since social gatherings shifted to the back of the house. Domestic architecture saw the birth of the den, which spilled outdoors through sliding glass doors. The yard was to be used as an extension of the house - a place for children to play, and a spot for informal social gatherings (the bbq). Naturally, the yard had to be enjoyable, as well as useful as an outdoor room. Minimalism, with its starkness and formality, ran contrary to this idea.

On the general topic. Does anyone here have horsetail? We just planted a lot of it in a long planter running the width of the front of the house. Having terrible problems keeping it watered. We planted it in mulch, but most times it seems to be in rocks. Could that be part of the problem? Rather than hand watering every night we may just have to get some kind of drip system.

Any horsetail tips?

Archived