Houston's Economy Leading The Pack

Gary

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5655044.html

"While Houston's economy appears to be the envy of the nation, benefiting from a strong energy industry along with robust growth in manufacturing and construction, it's showing signs of slowing.

Houston-area employers created 86,000 jobs between February 2007 and February 2008, according to data released Thursday from the Texas Workforce Commission. That works out to an annual increase of 3.4 percent.

By contrast, the country's job growth is running at just 0.6 percent".

I think we will still be ahead of the country, we have too much industry (oil, medical, manufacturing) for any major factors to totally derail us.

That's what I was kind of thinking. I'd think we'd just float on top as the rest of the nation rises. But that's just a guess. niche anyone?

I think we will still be ahead of the country, we have too much industry (oil, medical, manufacturing) for any major factors to totally derail us.

Yep, and we're more export-intensive per capita than nearly any other city in the nation except perhaps Seattle. The dollar isn't going to invert in value relative to the other major world currencies any time soon, so we're in relatively good shape for the forseeable future.

People will ALWAYS be sick, because that is what Big-Pharma wants, they don't want to "cure" you, they want to prolong you so you have to keep taking their medicines and get treatment.

People will ALWAYS need oil, until it runs out which is I believe Big Oil says that will be in the year 11,386 or 7.

People will always need goods manufactured and delivered, and Housotn is a MAJOR HUB for these kinds of businesses.

We should be fine Coog.

• 1 month later...

New article about Houston doing well from Bloomberg...

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=home

Some things that stood out to me...

"In terms of economic output, Houston is growing at least double the rate of the rest of the country,''

The Houston economy will expand by 4 percent this year, according to Perryman. That compares with a U.S. growth estimate of 1.2 percent, based on a Bloomberg News survey of economists.

Even if growth slows 30 percent to 40 percent, Houston will still create more than 50,000 jobs in 2008.''

In 2007's third quarter, the labor department calculated the average weekly wage in Houston at $1,015, more than 70 percent above the national average of $592.

I know this is for the nation and not just other comparable metros, but still. That really surprised me. If I were an out of towner, that sure would be an eye opener.

Twenty-six construction projects totaling $1.9 billion are set to break ground this year. (in TMC)

Over the past decade, the Hispanic population grew by 74 percent, while the number of Asians rose 76 percent.

I have a question about the following quote...

"Baby boomers are like the pig in the python,'' Holmes said. ``As they reach Medicare age, they'll need more acute care. That means cancer, heart disease, rehabilitation and orthopedics, all the things we specialize in.''

Does this mean there will be a surplus of jobs/space once the baby boomer generation passes? Or has the birth rate kept pace?

I have a question about the following quote...

Does this mean there will be a surplus of jobs/space once the baby boomer generation passes? Or has the birth rate kept pace?

It seems as though medical office and hospital buildings tend to become obsolete relatively quickly as compared with other kinds of real estate, if only on the basis of technological advancement. Perhaps the buildings will get recycled, like so many older existing buildings in the TMC are today.

Another possibility, that Boomers live longer than the previous generation, and bridge the gap between their own demand for healthcare and the point at which the echo-boomers start needing healthcare, themselves.

It all kind of depends on the birth rate, the death rate, and migration patterns, I think. If the U.S. retools immigration policy sanely, so as that we let in more people and maintain positive population growth like we'd experienced in the 20th century, then a shortage is basically inconceivable.

Bottom line, too many factors for which nobody has answers. [tangent]I've been contemplating buying a crystal ball for such questions, though. Perhaps two, to make a matching pair for the sake of sexual innuendo and random mentions of AC/DC. Then I can take a photo of them and post them on HAIF whenever someone poses an impossible question, asking them to rub my balls for an answer. My boss has been asking questions like these, lately. I think he needs to rub my balls too.[/tangent]

It seems as though medical office and hospital buildings tend to become obsolete relatively quickly as compared with other kinds of real estate, if only on the basis of technological advancement. Perhaps the buildings will get recycled, like so many older existing buildings in the TMC are today.

Another possibility, that Boomers live longer than the previous generation, and bridge the gap between their own demand for healthcare and the point at which the echo-boomers start needing healthcare, themselves.

It all kind of depends on the birth rate, the death rate, and migration patterns, I think. If the U.S. retools immigration policy sanely, so as that we let in more people and maintain positive population growth like we'd experienced in the 20th century, then a shortage is basically inconceivable.

Bottom line, too many factors for which nobody has answers. [tangent]I've been contemplating buying a crystal ball for such questions, though. Perhaps two, to make a matching pair for the sake of sexual innuendo and random mentions of AC/DC. Then I can take a photo of them and post them on HAIF whenever someone poses an impossible question, asking them to rub my balls for an answer. My boss has been asking questions like these, lately. I think he needs to rub my balls too.[/tangent]

An opinon or/and a guess, educated or not, was all I was looking for. Thanks for the former part of your post though.

Archived