Relocating A/c Condenser

We are having a deck installed soon, and need to relocate our A/C condenser unit to the side of the house. I had a tech out who quoted me a price to do it, and from the way he spoke, it sounded like he was going to be doing the work on his off hours (i.e., not representing his employer). The price was right (under $1k), but I didn't get a good feeling listening to him describe the relo process. Because it is critical that the unit be relocated and running properly, I would like to get a couple of additional quotes.

Can anyone recommend a reliable and competent Air and Heat company? The only other company I have heard good things about is Central City, but my experience has been that they are very expensive.

Thanks!

You should think about having the condenser and possibly, for the sake of efficiency, the evaporator coil replaced when they do this if the unit is more than a few years old. The labor involved (with the exception of replacing the evaporator coil) in relocating the unit is the same as the labor required to replace it, and relatively speaking, the units are cheap.

Thanks, I will make a note to inquire about that as well. There are two units and they are both pretty inefficient. We will eventually replace them, but for now anything we can do to make them more efficient is good.

Like was said before now would be the time to upgrade those units, it would save having to do it later.

This is in the master plan for our house, eventually. Once we build out and enclose the patio, a new patio/pool deck will be built directly behind the house where the current condenser is located. Our A/C guy said it was a very easy and simple thing to do: "less than $1000 and a couple of days worth of work," was the way he put it.

What side of town our you on? If you're northwest send me a PM and I'll get you his info.

I would recommend John Moore. I had them completely replace my entire 25 year-old HVAC in my 3rd floor condo unit. The condensor was on the roof and they did a remarkable job! Our complex was having our roof replaced at the time and I took advantage of the crane the roofers were using.

I like using established outfits like Moore because more than likely they will be here tomarrow. Our complex had recommended two independent contractors previously and both were flakes....couldn't get 'em on the phone! On a hunch I did what the radio commercials said and called John and got "More." They answered on the first ring!!

My two cents.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that NOW is the time to have this work done. The weather is neither really hot nor really cold, nobody is running their heat or A/C so the HVAC companies don't have just a whole lot of work coming in right now. I had my whole system replaced in the fall, and the crew took their time and did a good job with it since they weren't having to run a bunch of calls and the attic temperatures were pleasant...plus I got them to knock 20% off their original bid.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that NOW is the time to have this work done. The weather is neither really hot nor really cold, nobody is running their heat or A/C so the HVAC companies don't have just a whole lot of work coming in right now. I had my whole system replaced in the fall, and the crew took their time and did a good job with it since they weren't having to run a bunch of calls and the attic temperatures were pleasant...plus I got them to knock 20% off their original bid.

This is an excellent point. It's also a good time to get your A/C "checked up" prior to the summer.

Archived