Friendswood Town Center

plumber2

A project being financed by a local trial lawyer was canceled after a year of endless hassle by the City of Friendswood staffers. Local lawyer and developer of the project, Tony Buzbee, wrote a scathing letter to the mayor and council telling them why he pulled the plug. After a year of purchasing $20 million dollars worth of properties along Main St. (FM 518) for his development, the city staff kept jerking him around, causing him to change his plans several times and make major concessions to various department planners. He finnally gave up and removed all of his signs and equipment. It seems the last straw was the city's denial to let his sales staff use a temporary job trailer for offices while work progressed.

It must be nice to be wealthy enough to make a decision like that.

A project being financed by a local trial lawyer was canceled after a year of endless hassle by the City of Friendswood staffers. Local lawyer and developer of the project, Tony Buzbee, wrote a scathing letter to the mayor and council telling them why he pulled the plug. After a year of purchasing $20 million dollars worth of properties along Main St. (FM 518) for his development, the city staff kept jerking him around, causing him to change his plans several times and make major concessions to various department planners. He finnally gave up and removed all of his signs and equipment. It seems the last straw was the city's denial to let his sales staff use a temporary job trailer for offices while work progressed.

It must be nice to be wealthy enough to make a decision like that.

i don't think the City was jerking him around at all. i think he expected to get a free pass since he had so much money. he thought he was above the rules and figured he didn't have to follow them like everyone else. Anyway it seems they have played it off as a lack of communication between the parties and are trying to mend the fences.

a fwood poser :P

I was being facetious last night when I posted that. I do know some very nice people who live there, but I unfortunately know just as many who are polar opposites and they just seem to be attracted to the area.

i don't think the City was jerking him around at all. i think he expected to get a free pass since he had so much money. he thought he was above the rules and figured he didn't have to follow them like everyone else. Anyway it seems they have played it off as a lack of communication between the parties and are trying to mend the fences.

Sounds to me more like the City took him for granted just as many Cities, especially wealthy ones, are prone to do.

Greatness is not a birthright. It is not without cost, nor without risk.

Are The Woodlands, Sugar Land, and Kingwood the only three successful town centers?

It depends on how large a community has to be to be considered a "town" that it might have a "center", as well as whether the "center" is necessarily central to the "town" or whether it fits other criteria such as architectural style or layout.

Friendswood has a long history of being very protective of their little community. If you notice there are virtually no big box retailers in Friendswwod. The city government is very against such a thing. Also look at the school district sometime. Long ago they decided to stay a 4-A school and have gerimandered their district boundries to make sure they stay that way. A significant portion of the new homes in Friendswood are zoned to Clear Creek schools with the majority of them attending Clear Brook High school. Also as I understand it the redevelopment of the town center was not planned to be a Sugarland/Woodlands type design but rather an Old Town type revitalization with more resturants and small retail operations. It was on the same line as the proposed Old Town Pearland redevelopment not along the lines of the Pearland Town Center development taking place at 288 and 518.

Archived