It's That Time - Property Appraisal Advice Needed

Leon

Why, imagine that! I am shocked! Shocked!

They must be under enormous pressure to hold the line on appraisal values this year.

Curious.. I suppose if HCAD raise property rates the typical 10% per house this year, more people will come to protest rather than just holding the line.. I suspect it will cause significant de-evaluation after protesting..

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just noticed this on the HCAD web site - now that property values are dropping, they will not be doing a mass re-appraisal in 2009.

For the past several years, including 2008, HCAD has operated on an annual reappraisal cycle. Beginning in 2009, we will switch to a biennial cycle. We will continue to review the values of all properties each year, but in odd-numbered years such as 2009, will only make those value changes necessitated by new construction, unusual market conditions, or to maintain equity.

In the case of properties that change in value or have new ownership, a regular notice of appraised value will be mailed after 2009 values are complete (usually March or April). For properties on which there is no 2009 value change, even though the law doesn

• 1 month later...
Should I also try and find the permit for the 2004 work that was done that they are claiming as a 'total' renovation? Does the city keep a record of historical permits? I wish I knew the actual definitions they use for 'Total', 'Extensive', 'Partial', etc. to know how to best refute their classification. When I went in to the ARB hearing last year, all my comps were 'Extensive' while my house was 'Total' (even though the comps were much nicer houses!) and so they heavily discounted all my evidence.

I got some answers via email from HCAD on the definitions of some of the classifications they use (as I was interested in above):

Cost and Design (C&D) codes are sometimes also referred to as remodel codes because they can specify some level of remodel. C&D

• 1 month later...

I got a pdf file from the HCAD website thtat gives some sample forms to handling a protestEqualAppraisal.pdf. In the calculation tables they require a "time adjustment factor" for adjusting sale prices to a particular date. In the instructions they say these are available by school district but do not say where to get them. Can anyone provide me with a link to these factors?

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first time to contest my home/property values, and I have to plead major ignorance in what to do. What I mean is, I was tempted to hire a tax office to handle everything The thing is that they want 50% of the deduction back in their pockets, and that sounds like an awful lot. What do you guys think? Could a first timer handle it?

This is my first time to contest my home/property values, and I have to plead major ignorance in what to do. What I mean is, I was tempted to hire a tax office to handle everything The thing is that they want 50% of the deduction back in their pockets, and that sounds like an awful lot. What do you guys think? Could a first timer handle it?

if you have supporting data yes a first timer could easily handle it.

Not only can a first timer handle it, but think about this...if you screw it up and only get half what O'Connor would get, you came out even. If you see the number of files that they show up with, you know they are not putting much research into it.

• 2 weeks later...
Not only can a first timer handle it, but think about this...if you screw it up and only get half what O'Connor would get, you came out even. If you see the number of files that they show up with, you know they are not putting much research into it.

Thanks Red. I took your advice, and have a hearing scheduled. I've got photos, and have varios documentation (selling price research for similar home in neighborhood, etc).

Funny that you mention O'Connor as they were the firm I was going to sign with.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure I know the answer but was curious what the responses would be to this question. As a homeowner, am I under any legal obligation to correct HCAD's info re: my property? We bought the house last year and just received our 2009 appraisal. I'd heard that HCAD relied partially on MLS sales info and assumed we would be appraised at or near sales price and the incorrect info (sq. footage & room count) would be updated accordingly.

However, the 2009 appraisal is still based on a 1000 sq ft 3/1 rather than the 1800 sq ft 3/2.5 we live in. Therefore the appraisal is about $100k less than sales price. Despite the inaccurate info HCAD does show that the house was remodeled in 2008. Anyway, I was just curious if any responsibility is placed on the homeowner or if I should just pay my taxes and enjoy trying to stay under the radar as I am planning to do.

Thanks,

Newish to Houston and first time protesting the value...

Question - at the informal first hearing, or the 2nd meeting, is it a good idea to point out the defects in your house?

Worry is - are such defects documented and then could come back and bite you when you sell the house?

I think this question was asked bu someone else in this thread before and not answered, so would love to hear any thoughts...Thanks!

Newish to Houston and first time protesting the value...

Question - at the informal first hearing, or the 2nd meeting, is it a good idea to point out the defects in your house?

Worry is - are such defects documented and then could come back and bite you when you sell the house?

I think this question was asked bu someone else in this thread before and not answered, so would love to hear any thoughts...Thanks!

If you are thinking along those lines, a lower appraisal is always bad when trying to sell for the highest price. However, few people looking to buy a house base their offer on the appraisal district price. Most will simply appreciate that a lower appraisal will save money on taxes. You just have to decide which is more important to you, paying higher taxes, or getting a higher sales price. The two numbers are always at odds with each other.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer but was curious what the responses would be to this question. As a homeowner, am I under any legal obligation to correct HCAD's info re: my property? We bought the house last year and just received our 2009 appraisal. I'd heard that HCAD relied partially on MLS sales info and assumed we would be appraised at or near sales price and the incorrect info (sq. footage & room count) would be updated accordingly.

However, the 2009 appraisal is still based on a 1000 sq ft 3/1 rather than the 1800 sq ft 3/2.5 we live in. Therefore the appraisal is about $100k less than sales price. Despite the inaccurate info HCAD does show that the house was remodeled in 2008. Anyway, I was just curious if any responsibility is placed on the homeowner or if I should just pay my taxes and enjoy trying to stay under the radar as I am planning to do.

Stay under the radar!!!!!

Archived