Spray On Foam Insulation....

I know Tom Tynan says foam insulaiton is overkill for here, and it makes it hard to ever do anything with the wiring or plumbing in those walls. We also don't need the moisture barrier the folks up North seem to require. I would be happy with fiberglass, myself. It doesn't smell at all, and is easier to control during installation (I made a box explode with the stuff during a training stint in a shipping departmetn years ago.)

The Houston area home show guys on the weekend aren't fans of spray foam insulation. Unlike, say, This Old House, who seem to use it for everything.
Most of the projects done on TOH are in the Northeast. Their insulation needs are much greater. What's better for them is not always best for this area.

I believe Tom Tynan spouts the health hazards of spray foam insulation, and the difficulty it can cause if there is ever a mold issue...I believe he said he would "not build a house in with foam insulation for a million dollars" to quote his radio show...

Foam insulation is only useful if installed properly. All AC's must have fresh air intakes and they must be undersized so that they will run enough to cycle the humid air. The open cell foams are not vapor barriers. If you get a roof leak, the water will penetrate straight through.

Don't install foam on a remodel. A foam insulated home has to be designed properly from the beginning. IE: no soffit or roof venting, outdoor air intakes, and downsized AC's.

The cost savings over time can be very lucrative. Especially for larger homes.

Do people really believe Tom Tynan answers to God?

I don't know much about Foam insulation, but Tom appears on a sponsored radio show purporting to be an expert on Home contstruction, repair, and maintenance. As such, I refer to him as a purported expert...just passing his opinion along to inform the OP of the information.

Edit: We all answer to god...

I don't know much about Foam insulation, but Tom appears on a sponsored radio show purporting to be an expert on Home contstruction, repair, and maintenance. As such, I refer to him as a purported expert...just passing his opinion along to inform the OP of the information.

Edit: We all answer to god...

As it has been said, foam insulation requires a lot of other factors to be considered, especially how to handle moisture inside the house.

As a side note, I used Tom to build my small house in the Heights two years ago. I am still very pleased with the project.

Archived