Hawks Downtown?

ricco67

The only birds around here that annoy me are those Mexican Whistling Ducks. They like to call one another at the same time, until you have at least fifty on your roof. They look really creepy when they move - they walk like some alien machines from War of the Worlds or something. Also when you peek out your window, they stare right back at you. On the plus side they are very skittish, so you only need to wave your arms around and they will fly away.

Here's what they look like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-bellied_Whistling-Duck

The only birds around here that annoy me are those Mexican Whistling Ducks. They like to call one another at the same time, until you have at least fifty on your roof. They look really creepy when they move - they walk like some alien machines from War of the Worlds or something. Also when you peek out your window, they stare right back at you. On the plus side they are very skittish, so you only need to wave your arms around and they will fly away.

Those guys live in my neighborhood too. I always see them flying to and from Hermann Park and whistling. They're cool!

• 8 months later...

I am wary of Grackles also. They are sneaky and will give you the evil eye. I always check my wallet when I see one because I firmly believe one of them will steal it one of these days.

Once at a patio we watched a Grackle jump on a table and pull out a sugar packet from the middle of the container. He then jumped over to a pot plant and wedged the packet in a notch. Then he tore it open and began eating the sugar. Another grackle came over and the first one began feeding the second one from the pile of sugar. We immediately packed up and went inside for fear of being mugged and or kidnapped.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived