More Random Houston Buildings

editor

I read somewhere that the two entrances/exits of the Washburn Tunnel used to be paved in cobblestones, but were replaced due to them being slippery when wet. Some guy wiped out on a motorcycle when exiting (not seriously hurt).

Yes, that's brick (4th Ward) just like the brick on the street by Katz's (Montrose). The more modern streets/intersections use "brick pavers". Brick pavers (for roads) are generally laid on top of concrete. Pathways are laid over compressed sand.

Anyway, my point about the Washburn Tunnel was that the entrances/exits in fact had cobblestone paving. Are there any true cobblestone streets or drives left?

Yes, that's brick (4th Ward) just like the brick on the street by Katz's (Montrose). The more modern streets/intersections use "brick pavers". Brick pavers (for roads) are generally laid on top of concrete. Pathways are laid over compressed sand.

Anyway, my point about the Washburn Tunnel was that the entrances/exits in fact had cobblestone paving. Are there any true cobblestone streets or drives left?

Interesting. I didn't know there was a difference between cobbles and bricks. Or at least I assumed that bricks wouldn't handle vehicular traffic, so that anything laid on the ground like that for a public way would be cobbles, not brick, even if it was red.

The cobbles I grew up with in Brooklyn were big and black -- each about the size of a loaf of bread -- and laid in the late 1600's. I assumed these were just a more modern variation on the theme. I guess I learned something new today.

These particular bricks are near Hermann Park.

If you get a chance to ever get down to Puerto Vallara, those are real cobblestones. I think they get them from river beds and are generally roundish balls of rock. Needless to say, these do not make for a very comfortable ride in a car.

Archived