I Want To Add A Balcony To The Front Of My Townhouse

I live in the middle unit of a fairly typical 3-unit, side-by-side, 3-story, inner loop townhouse complex built in 1993. My neighbor on one side enjoys a nice outdoor deck accessed from her second floor living room. The nieghbor on the other side (the corner lot) has a nice little walled-in yard area on the ground level. I have a only tiny little deck in the back of my unit. It's basically useless as it gets no sunlight and has six AC units close by making lots of racket.

I have an idea, though. I'd like to remove an existing bank of four floor-to-ceiling windows and add Frech doors and a balcony so my second floor living area can open up to the outside. I'd like the balcony to extend far enough to accomodate at least two chairs that can be moved outside when the weather allows. I imagine the outer edge of the balcony having a curve similar to that of the third floor window bank which will remain unchanged.

I'm very interested in anyone's thoughts about the feasibilty of this project. Is it even possible structurally? I don't want any support posts reaching down to the ground. It must tie in with the exisiting frame of the house. I am also curious about the cost. I really have no idea what something like this would cost. If it cost $10k or less, it sounds like a slam dunk. If we're talking $20k or more, I'm not so sure.

I've attached some photos of the exterior and interior to give everyone a better idea of what I'm talking about.

I look forward to any feedback HAIF'ers can provide.

bpe3

Photos.pdf

I suspect you could extend a balcony 3 or feet out and support it from the existing structure.....that said I really think you would upset the balanced look of the front of your townhouse. The curved window facades of the 2nd and 3rd floors have a very cohesive look, I think a flat french door front with curved balcony would spoil the aesthetics.

That certainly is a concern. I thought about ripping off the entire front and making a third floor balcony as well. I think that will increase the cost by more than a factor of two because the roof line ties into the curve at the the top. I'm hoping that a curved front on the balcony with the railing following the same curve will tie it the look with the remaining windows at the top. I'm no designer though. I'm interested in all constructive critisim.

bpe3

To install a balcony, you will need to cantilever the rafters out from the house. This will require installing rafters back underneath the floor, usually for a distance twice the length of the cantilever. From looking at the photo, it looks like the bay windows are already cantilevered. If so, you may be able to extend the cantilever further to accomodate the balcony.

As stated earlier, this may not look as good as the current bay window. Another possibility to consider is to build a new wall a few feet inside the room and install french doors and windows in that wall. You then could remove the outdoor windows, replacing them with columns that compliment the curve of the bay windows. You lose a few square feet of interior space, but save thousands of dollars in installing a cantilever. The resulting balcony would likely look far better than a balcony sticking out.

There are no deed restrictions to prevent this. The agreement with my attached neighbors is very thin. About the only issue it covers is reponsibilty for maintenance/repair expeneses associated with our common walls. It doesn't address several key issues I'd like it to address, such as:

1. a requirement to carry insurance; and

2. mandatory repairs/rebuilding after a causualty loss.

If my place burns down, it would be within my rights to pocket the insurance proceeds and leave a gaping hole between the other two units.

I bought the place about three years ago. I've talked to my neighbors about beefing up the agreement, but we haven't done anything yet.

bpe3

Fortunately your new balcony is over the garage, so it makes the installation of the canteliever a little easier. Also, I would recommend only removing the two center windows and replacing them with 1 door, that will help keep the same curved look. All in all:

Framing 1-2 days $2000

Frame Material $1000 - $1500

1 divided light french door $450 - $2000

Sheetrock $600 - $800

Trim carpentry and material $400

Paint $300

I assume no plumbing or electrical work needs to be done

Decorative Iron Railing $3000

Add $1500 if outside is to be tiled instead of wood deck.

Looks like $10 - 12k for a quality job

Thanks, cgallagher. That is extremely helpful information. Maybe this project is feasible after all. HAIF is awesome.

Another option has crossed now crossed my mind. Maybe there's a window solution that can worked into the exiting facade. Maybe the balcony itself isn't necessary (it would be nice though). Maybe I could put four large casement windows in the existing window openings. That way, with four large windows (no screens) opened all the way up, I can get that outdoor feeling while still being inside. Do they make casement windows that large?

Is there another window system that would be better? I'd love to have one huge window system (like the kind they have a RA Sushi) that could slide all the way out of the way on a nice day leaving one large opening. I always like the townhouses with garage-type window-doors that roll up and provide a huge opening. The garage-type look wouldn't work here though.

bpe3

Thanks, cgallagher. That is extremely helpful information. Maybe this project is feasible after all. HAIF is awesome.

Another option has crossed now crossed my mind. Maybe there's a window solution that can worked into the exiting facade. Maybe the balcony itself isn't necessary (it would be nice though). Maybe I could put four large casement windows in the existing window openings. That way, with four large windows (no screens) opened all the way up, I can get that outdoor feeling while still being inside. Do they make casement windows that large?

Is there another window system that would be better? I'd love to have one huge window system (like the kind they have a RA Sushi) that could slide all the way out of the way on a nice day leaving one large opening. I always like the townhouses with garage-type window-doors that roll up and provide a huge opening. The garage-type look wouldn't work here though.

bpe3

Rather than casements, why not install a set of doors in place of the four windows. A railing can then be attached to the outside to keep anyone from falling out of the door opening.

http://www.andersenwindows.com/servlet/Sat...izes+%26+Shapes

Window railing

balconet-001.jpg

3' wide by 6 feet tall is probably the largest casement you would want to go. Otherwise they get too flimsy. There are some companies that make double folding doors that sound like what you're talking about, but you'd lose you're curved wall. Keep in mind that when you increase the width of the openning, you're going to have to increase the size of the header above that openning, and that can turn out tricky when you've got a floor above you.

Maybe casements aren't the answer for an opening that large, although I like the idea. Maybe there's another kind of window that can really be opened super wide. In my younger years at Lamar High School (class of '87), the main building had some cool windows. With the turn of one crank, a bank of four vertical stacked windows would swing open.

RedScare - I like the door idea, but I don't want to have four doors swinging open into my living room on a beautiful day. There wouldn't be any room to walk around.

bpe3

RedScare - I like the door idea, but I don't want to have four doors swinging open into my living room on a beautiful day. There wouldn't be any room to walk around.

bpe3

If it were me, I wouldn't put in 4 doors either. I would frame in that inside area that is not curved, where the header is. I would put in a nice set of french doors, with a non-opening french door on either side. I would replace the curved bank of windows with a nice wrought iron railing, with a floor to ceiling support every several feet. What you end up with is a slender curving balcony, widest at the french doors, a wall of windows, similar to what you have now, but accessible to the balcony. In good weather, the french doors open, but still allow light through the other non-opening doors. Since the doors are framed within the existing header, it has the added benefit of being less expensive to build. Hang a few hanging plants on either side of the french doors, and you're done.

I guess you learn something new everyday. Unitl now, I thought the only good thing to come out of Bellaire HS was Peter Gardere. :D

I think RedScare is pretty much thinking of what I was trying to describe in the original post. I imagine the new second floor doors and or windows to be flush with the brick facade and existing framing. The current bay window isn't very deep though. To make it usable at all it will still need to extended and cantilevered out from the existing facade. I imagine the third floor stucco facade to remain unchanged. The second floor however will be completely scraped. The balcony will extend outward from a flat facade. The sides of the balcony will be perpendicular to the facade. The outter edge of the balcony, the part facing the street, will have a curve to mimick the third floor curved stucco facade.

bpe3

YES!!!!!!!!!!

Now we are getting somewhere. Those doors look awesome, Scharpe Guy. They all seem to all be flat though, which would require that I remove the existing stucco facade and install them flush with the brick facade. While that's certainly an option, it would really nice to find a similar system that can be intalled within the curve of the existing curved stucco facade. Then I could really open things up without substantially altering the look of the exterior. That would cetainly make my neighbors happy.

bpe3

I hate to hijack the thread but I have a related question. What's the probability to get a permit to built a balcony (actually extending existing one) over the property line. I was assuming 0 and it brried my good idea. Am I right?

0%

Archived