The Heights In Reverse

When reading this article I immediately thought about the transition to larger houses in the Heights and the arguments for and against. It also made me think about demographic changes or shifts and peoples responses associated with that.

Here is the link to the story:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5589610.html

Or you can read it here:

March 3, 2008, 11:08PM

Subdivision isn't happy about new Habitat neighbors

Residents want funds denied for plan to build 90 homes near them

By BILL MURPHY

Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

Lately, it has not been all polite how-are-yous, it's-nice-to-see-you exchanges between residents of Greenwood Forest, a subdivision in northwest Harris County.

Pleasantries have given way to earnest conversations among retired accountants, senior salespeople, company executives and others about what many perceive as the Habitat problem.

A chapter of Habitat for Humanity wants to build a 90-home development of modest residences at one of the primary entrances to Greenwood Forest, whose homes range from 2,000 to 5,000 square feet.

"Twelve-hundred-square-foot homes should be built in an area of 1,200-square-foot homes. If they are not, they will be a drag on the area where they are built," said Doug Skelton of Greenwood Forest. "I think anybody would be concerned about property values if you live in a 2,000- or 3,000-square-foot home."

I thought of the Ashby high-rise. This is another group of people that want control over property they don't own.

The only difference I see is that Habitat is attmepting to use public money to do this. This gives people more right to complaing in my view, after all their taxes may help pay for this.

In my opinion taking public money to build these houses basically makes this public housing.

Edited by jgriff

the Greenwood Forest people are failing to mention that there is a bit of distance between GF and the proposed Habitat site. I drove right past it, down Bammel and through Greenwood Forest just Sunday. They want to zero in on square footage, but there are 2 other ticky- tacky low end subdivisions before you get to GF. And within yards of GF is an old 70s apartment complex. The issue of county money aside, they seem to ignore the signs of potential blight already built right under their noses, preferring to come after Habitat with the 'property value' argument, depsite the fact that new builds advertising 'the low 100s' are all around them.

I thought of the Ashby high-rise. This is another group of people that want control over property they don't own.

The only difference I see is that Habitat is attmepting to use public money to do this. This gives people more right to complaing in my view, after all their taxes may help pay for this.

In my opinion taking public money to build these houses basically makes this public housing.

It is a little more complicated than just tax money. The Habitat owns the land and has the funding to build the project already. The $1 million is merely to make the community look better. The Greenwood Forest complainers may well succeed in forcing Harris County not to give Habitat $1 million, resulting in a bare bones, less attractive development.

This goes decidedly in the "be careful for what you wish for" column.

Sorry, but I didn't think of the Heights or Ashby Hirise when reading this article. What I thought was, "you people make me sick."

I am sure most of these people consider themselves "good Christians" too! I loved that part in the New Testament in which Jesus worries about his property values over the well being of his neighbors.

Guest danax
Sorry, but I didn't think of the Heights or Ashby Hirise when reading this article. What I thought was, "you people make me sick."

I am sure most of these people consider themselves "good Christians" too! I loved that part in the New Testament in which Jesus worries about his property values over the well being of his neighbors.

Yes, and that fear is probably based on stereotypes of "working poor" minorities causing an increase in crime rates, a stereotype that might still be valid, although saying that in 2008 could result in having a cross burned on your lawn or a burning tire placed around your neck. They're also probably dismayed by being on the border of an increasingly large "ring rot", again, a stigma based on minority influx which might or might not be based on fact. I don't think we should be so hard on the Greenwood people since their perceptions might turn out to be true. Very few people are truly able to live by the love thy neighbor concept, and to those who criticize them, let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Hopefully, they can get to know each other and form a cooperative relationship based on mutual respect...... :rolleyes: (sarcastic but serious).

Well, the Ashby high-rise opponents make me sick too. It's the same thing in my mind, both groups want to keep people out of their neighborhood by taking control of property by force instead of buying it like everyone else has to.

When I was a kid my parents bought up land all around them so that they would be able to live on a quiet, undeveloped street. The though of complaining to the government to keep people out of the neighborhood never occured to them.

Edited by jgriff