Post Oak Blvd. At Richmond Ave.

MetroMogul

The Windsor opened in 1962, but HTWWW wasn't the first Cinerama film. That honor goes to THIS IS CINERAMA, which predated HTWWW by a full decade.

History of Cinerama

The first Cinerama I saw there was Grand Prix (66) with James Garner. Did all his own driving. They had to slow him down because he was running away from the film cars and most of the GP drivers. He did own a 1275 S Mini. Check out the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmffIeOOuPs

The openning movie at Windsor Plaza was "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" staring Spencer Tracy. That had to have been around 1962. I saw How the West Was Won at the Windsor but it was after the theater had been openned for awhile.

• 1 year later...
The openning movie at Windsor Plaza was "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" staring Spencer Tracy. That had to have been around 1962. I saw How the West Was Won at the Windsor but it was after the theater had been openned for awhile.

Confetti was at South Rice and Alabama.... been # of clubs for years...... Cowboy, Confetti, Piranha Room, R&R, Rockz, etc. I used to go to all of them.

Fizz was where 6400 Club was on Richmond, across street from Pappasitos. That had been several different names as well.

In Windsor Plaza, the vacant location on far east end of the property, bordering Post Oak, was a Steak and Ale. It was Steak and Ale going back to the 70s. There was a TGIF at the end of the strip center next to where Dimassi's is now. They tore it down and it is still vacant.

Confetti was at South Rice and Alabama.... been # of clubs for years...... Cowboy, Confetti, Piranha Room, R&R, Rockz, etc. I used to go to all of them.

Fizz was where 6400 Club was on Richmond, across street from Pappasitos. That had been several different names as well.

In Windsor Plaza, the vacant location on far east end of the property, bordering Post Oak, was a Steak and Ale. It was Steak and Ale going back to the 70s. There was a TGIF at the end of the strip center next to where Dimassi's is now. They tore it down and it is still vacant.

TGI Friday's became Mason Jar in its later years. There was Todd's right next to TGIF. Cooter's was at the far other end of the center. It was hot for years and years. Across Post Oak was Don's Seafood.

TGI Friday's became Mason Jar in its later years. There was Todd's right next to TGIF. Cooter's was at the far other end of the center. It was hot for years and years. Across Post Oak was Don's Seafood.

Was Todd's where Dimassi's is?

What I do know is that where Dimassi's is now, there was a club back in the 80s. I remember the dance floor had a pole in it - the same pole that is in Dimassi's.

Was Todd's where Dimassi's is?

What I do know is that where Dimassi's is now, there was a club back in the 80s. I remember the dance floor had a pole in it - the same pole that is in Dimassi's.

It was probably Todd's.

On the East side of the Post Oak and Richmond intersection was a great steak house called The Safari. It had a model elephant outside the entrance and had an Indian motif inside. This was during the early 60s to mid 70s. Many fond memories of the Windsor Cinerama and the divided line format for How The West Was Won.

On the East side of the Post Oak and Richmond intersection was a great steak house called The Safari. It had a model elephant outside the entrance and had an Indian motif inside. This was during the early 60s to mid 70s. Many fond memories of the Windsor Cinerama and the divided line format for How The West Was Won.

Yep, I remember that. I was a kid and just loved the elephant. We ate there a few times, but I was too young to remember anything other than thinking I was in the coolest place EVER.

I remember that where the empty parking lot that you talk about there was a "bus station" to take a bus to Intercontinental Airport. You could drop people off there I think.

Yep, airport terminal. They had a few around town. Very convenient.

I have an old post card of the Safari that shows the elephant. The building was a nice mid-century modern. It still stands but has been remodeled out of recognition.

I have an old post card of the Safari that shows the elephant. The building was a nice mid-century modern. It still stands but has been remodeled out of recognition.

Cool, can you scan and post it?

• 6 years later...

I remember that where the empty parking lot that you talk about there was a "bus station" to take a bus to Intercontinental Airport. You could drop people off there I think.

Responding to an old post I know but.. I worked at Zazz (formerly Avalon/DV8) I was having to ride the bus there for a while and would walk right through their parking lot, then one night I got there and the place was gone. Like it just disappeared overnight. Was so weird

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

In January of 1986 (15-16th I believe) , RUSH  the Canadian prog-rock trio had played The Summit for two shows on their Power Windows tour. After the first show on a Wednesday, my cousin and I followed a limo leaving the Timmons Lane side underground tunnel of the Summit to the Windsor Plaza at Richmond and Sage to the middle of the strip center. There was a strip club which I think was called Baby Dolls where the promoters , Stone City Attractions out of San Antonio had thrown a after party for the three members of the band, Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart. So out of the limo came Geddy and Alex and I got both their autographs on a biography called "Success Under Pressure" that was written by a Steve Gett. As we were both 17 , we couldn't get into the club after they went in so we went around the back of the strip center and had a long haired security guard of Grizz Security (I think) with sad eyes who knew us from all The Summit concerts we attended in the first ten rows floor , let us sneak into the club while he was at the back door providing extra security or just smoking a cigarette. Inside we saw Geddy and Alex sitting in club chairs around the long oval center stage with Stone City promoters having drinks while girls danced on that catwalk like stage. Then Alex went back to a private room for what I assumed were lap dances. Neil came in like a half hour  later in a VW driven by someone from Stone City as he was picked up at the Four Seasons Inn at the Park ( on Woodway) hotel later around midnight (we heard this from others as we were inside by then) and also sat at the same long center stage table with a pole (possibly) for the dancers/strippers. I believe the club at the end was called Cooter's but I never did go there because I soon left for Austin for college at UT. I cannot remember if it was Baby Dolls or Baby O's or what exactly that strip club was named....does anyone for sure? That's the reason for me writing here. In the early 2000s I ate at the Chinese Cafe there with my ex-wife, her sister and husband and Billy Gibbons of ZZTop was in there eating with some fellows from Africa. After he was done and leaving I approached him as we were too and he introduced them to us as African art dealers who he buys from for his collection of that art that he is fond of...also he pulled out a notepad with caricatures of all three ZZtop members and signed it for all four of us individually and peeled them off and was on his way. Windsor Plaza is now just another dull commercial strip center with the generic stucco makeover with big box stores etc. Cooter's was always talked about in commercials on K101 (KLOL) and 97 Rocks as having smaller bands playing there too. I also ate a few times in the early 90s at that Steak and Ale near Post Oak...what valuable land that is and based on highest and best use should become another high rise apt. or office building at that Post Oak and Richmond corner in my opinion.

• The title was changed to Post Oak Blvd. At Richmond Ave.

Archived