Moving To Klein Area

kaykaygirl

I assure you that you would not be pleased with a Habitat neighborhood close to your home. You really need to drive out to their project in Tomball and see for yourself what these neighborhoods look like, in fact most of the wonderful people that participate in building these homes never come back to see what they look like a year or two after they are completed. Would you want to live near a neighborhood without deed restrictions, junk cars parked in the front yard, broken windows and sheets being used as curtains and used appliances in the front yard? While home ownership may be the American Dream not every American is cut out to maintain a home nor do they understand that owning a home goes well beyond simply paying a mortgage.

Habitat for Humanity organizations operate like a franchise and each one is different, I would say that for the most part most of them are doing this for the greater good of society, while others display an arrogance and lack of concern for the neighborhoods around them. I too believed that all Habitat for Humanity organizations were the same and I also believe that they were all good, my eyes have really been opened as I've learned more about this particular organization and have attended the various meetings. Again, don't simply take my word for it drive out to Cherie Cove and look for yourself and then ask yourself if this is something that you want close to your home?

And I can assure you that you do not know me. I would welcome a Habitat build in my neighborhood with open arms. I live in a neighborhood that has public housing, section 8 housing, transitional housing, and even a homeless shelter. You know what? My neighborhood also has $5 million townhomes.

What I don't welcome into my neighborhood are the newcomers, mostly suburbanites who have moved back into the city after the kids go off to college, who want to change the city. They want to clean it up. They want to get rid of the housing and close the shelter. They want bars to close at midnight because of the noise. They want the gay businesses out. They want funky places replaced by national chains.

In 2 weeks, there will be a big fight about the Pine Street Inn's (New England's largest homeless shelter) plans to buy 3 condos to provide transitional housing for their clients. It is 2 blocks from my condo. I am showing up to support the plan.

Again, I would be very wary of any place in which the neighbors want to put blinders on about the real world. I would NOT want to live in a place in which home values trump all other matters. But hey, that's just me.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And I can assure you that you do not know me. I would welcome a Habitat build in my neighborhood with open arms. I live in a neighborhood that has public housing, section 8 housing, transitional housing, and even a homeless shelter. You know what? My neighborhood also has $5 million townhomes.

What I don't welcome into my neighborhood are the newcomers, mostly suburbanites who have moved back into the city after the kids go off to college, who want to change the city. They want to clean it up. They want to get rid of the housing and close the shelter. They want bars to close at midnight because of the noise. They want the gay businesses out. They want funky places replaced by national chains.

In 2 weeks, there will be a big fight about the Pine Street Inn's (New England's largest homeless shelter) plans to buy 3 condos to provide transitional housing for their clients. It is 2 blocks from my condo. I am showing up to support the plan.

Again, I would be very wary of any place in which the neighbors want to put blinders on about the real world. I would NOT want to live in a place in which home values trump all other matters. But hey, that's just me.

That's wonderful that you chose to buy/lease in an such a diverse area with mixed use. However, a vast number of us chose to live here because this type of housing stock did not fit with the area, had we wanted to live in an area such as the one that you describe we would have chosen to live around it. I personally do not want to live near a homeless shelter, bars, nightclubs , high crime or blight, regardless of the home sales prices in the area.

I choose to drive 30 minutes to downtown (with light Houston traffic..ha!) because I did not want to live near transitional housing or the other elements that you state that you enjoy, that's why we have a choice in where we live. As you are displeased with the Sububanites moving into your neighborhood and changing the dynamics, I too am concerned about low income housing changing the dynamics of my neighborhood. As you are planning to support retaining low income housing in your neighborhood, I am supporting my neighborhood to keep this type of housing out. Just as you state that you would be wary of living in my neighborhood because this project is not entirely welcome, I was wary of living in a neighborhood that did have this type of housing and chose not to live near it.

I see poverty, run down neighborhoods and properties each day with my profession and when I drive home in the afternoon I like to see well maintained homes, nice lawns and neighbors that share similar values... not a Habitat for Humanity project with people that do not necessarily understand or have the ability to take care of their home. As I stated before, not everyone is cut out to own a home, while they may dream of a home, understanding the costs and responsibilities involved is another. Seeing the projects completed by Habitat for Humanity of NWHC that have been completed is certainly eye opening and not something I want to have near me.

Again, it's about choice I would not choose to live in a mixed use neighborhood and I don't particularly welcome having $30,000 homes being built so close to my subdivision. There are neighborhoods that may very well benefit from having a Habitat for Humanity project, however, this is no benefit to my neighborhood or the schools that this will feed into.

At that time the district had moved much of Oak to Collins,decimating their numbers. When they first started talking about the IB school, it was to be at Forest. During a tour of the district with school board candidates Dr. Surrate said that he had tried to get other districts to take some of the schools south of 1960, but no one wanted underperforming schools with no tax base. I was told that by 3 candidates who were on that bus. That was about the same time the district decided to put the IB school at Oak. Oak and Collins needed students. The board even offered to let students from crowded Forest go to Oak or Collins. They had to furnish their own transportation. I suspect KHS did not want the IB school because it would bring them bright students from other parts of the district lessening their chances of making the top 10%

• The title was changed to Moving To Klein Area

Archived