Gas/electric/hvac Repair/replace Costs/recommendations?

The dark brown is original, the lighter is new. Yes on the fireblocking. It's a new experience for me.

flipper

Hi,

I'm about to move into a house with two HVAC systems. One is a 4ton gas heater/air conditioner. The other is a 1ton electric heat pump. Unforutnately, the air handler on the 2nd system does not work. (When the fan is turned on, it just buzzes without spinning). Right now, I'm guessing the motor has siezed up.

There is also evidence some shoddy work one by previous installers. (HVAC condensation line goes into sewer, natural gas pipe is unsupported, being crushed by part of attic catwalk, etc).

I've read a lot of horror storries about poor work from lazy HVAC/gas/electrical techs.

So I have a few questions

1) How much does it cost to replace the fan motor? (ballpark) Is this a DIY task?

2) Can anyone recommend a good HVAC technician?

3) Can anyone recommend a good electrican?

4) Can anyone recommend someone good for relocating/re-installing natural gas lines in a house?

Thanks

-Alex

...regarding the natural gas pipe being "crushed" ... if the pipe is steel... you may not even have an issue (you can't crush a steel pipe, used for gas service, by walking on it)... if it's plastic... then you'd have a problem... I've got steel and copper pipes going under/over all kinds of structures in my attic, including under my catwalk, as well. As long as I don't smell natural gas - I'm OK with it.

I thought that all gas lines had to be steel, but to my surprise, not so:

When purchasing PE plastic pipe, the pipe must be marked ASTM D2513. Plastic pipe with this marking is the only PE pipe suitable for gas service.

Although I would never use plastic for gas service, regardless.

Hi,

I'm about to move into a house with two HVAC systems. One is a 4ton gas heater/air conditioner. The other is a 1ton electric heat pump. Unforutnately, the air handler on the 2nd system does not work. (When the fan is turned on, it just buzzes without spinning). Right now, I'm guessing the motor has siezed up.

There is also evidence some shoddy work one by previous installers. (HVAC condensation line goes into sewer, natural gas pipe is unsupported, being crushed by part of attic catwalk, etc).

I've read a lot of horror storries about poor work from lazy HVAC/gas/electrical techs.

So I have a few questions

1) How much does it cost to replace the fan motor? (ballpark) Is this a DIY task?

2) Can anyone recommend a good HVAC technician?

3) Can anyone recommend a good electrican?

4) Can anyone recommend someone good for relocating/re-installing natural gas lines in a house?

Thanks

-Alex

I can recommend a very good HVAC person. He is a little more than a technician, though, he actually has a PhD in thermodynamics. His name is Henry Wall and the company is called Wall to Wall A/C (you can google wall to wall A/C houston and will find him). He is very good - not very cheap (but reasonable), but, unlike a lot of people in the field will not rip you off and leave you hanging.

older gas lines are copper. thats what being crushed. your just moving in??? didnt you get a home warranty??? i would read up and see what it covers...I mean, what if plastic were to get wrapped around the ac and burned it up??? you would have to get a new ac unit and the warranty should cover that.

Those home warranties have a lot of outs when you read the small print. However if you have a fire I would expect the homeowners insurance to cover it.

older gas lines are copper. thats what being crushed. your just moving in??? didnt you get a home warranty??? i would read up and see what it covers...I mean, what if plastic were to get wrapped around the ac and burned it up??? you would have to get a new ac unit and the warranty should cover that.

Archived