Whats Your Monthly Toll Bill?

Lowbrow

My EZtag bill last month came to $130. About $90 of that is my daily commute, the rest is just the fact that I live in Pearland and like to visit other parts of Houston alot.

Now I know some people are getting hit alot harder than me. Anyone?

oh yeah, ps., that is about even with my gasoline expenditure.

I'm not doubting that. I could cut $10 off my monthly bill by getting off the beltway one exit early and getting on it one exit later but that will add at least 3-5 minutes each way... thats between 2 and about 3 hours a month. Ouch. Thats less than minimum wage.

My commute from Pearland to Westchase used to be wonderful.. like 20 minutes. But in the last 2 years its really gone south with all the people moving to Pearland. Its up to about 35-45 minutes.

Mine used to run $20-40 a month depending on how much I used it. It went up a lot after the Westpark opened because I used it almost daily to get between Westchase and Montrose/Midtown/Downtown.

However, since moving inside the loop last August, my EZ Tag hasn't had a single transaction. I did shell out $5 in cash this week on tolls, but that's because my EZ Tag is in my car which is still in the body shop being repaired after being rear ended three weeks ago. The rental of course doesn't have one.

I calculated a couple of months ago that the reduction in tolls and gasoline usage I experienced by moving offset nearly $100 of the $175 increase in rent I experienced when I moved. Not bad.

Mine used to run $20-40 a month depending on how much I used it. It went up a lot after the Westpark opened because I used it almost daily to get between Westchase and Montrose/Midtown/Downtown.

However, since moving inside the loop last August, my EZ Tag hasn't had a single transaction. I did shell out $5 in cash this week on tolls, but that's because my EZ Tag is in my car which is still in the body shop being repaired after being rear ended three weeks ago. The rental of course doesn't have one.

I calculated a couple of months ago that the reduction in tolls and gasoline usage I experienced by moving offset nearly $100 of the $175 increase in rent I experienced when I moved. Not bad.

See thats why I bring this up. I actually pay about $1000 a month on my vehiculars (car note, insurance, gas, tolls, and maintenance ($1053 for january)). If I could nip that in the bud some how I'd be a happy camper. My car note is a bit high because I'm trying to pay it all off in 2 years. Guess I'm just thinking out loud. I just cant believe how dependent I am on my car now after living in Boston and only using my car to go skiing in New Hampshire a couple times my entire time there.

Anyways if I moved inside the loop I could probably axe $110 in tolls and another $50 in gas. Less mileage would be less maintenance too, although its street miles to highway miles, hard to compare.

Figure in wear and tear and time savings and you're way ahead.

I guess I'm lucky. I live in the loop and I work in the Northwest Crossing area (290 @ Holister). The only reason I got an EZTag is for work. Most of the developments we work on are located everywhere outside the beltway.