Small Houses

Excuse me if there is another thread on this subject, but my husband and I just built a bay house with 824 sq. feet. It took us 2 years looking for a builder who would do this. We ended up settling for Jim Walter. Are there no architects doodling on paper napkins at singles bars who could come up with a house at 800 sqf under $100,000? Excluding the cost of land, of course.

P.S. The Jim Walter home ain't that bad.

One of my best friends is an architect who doodles on napkins every time we have drinks. He has drawn me a beach house, a new kitchen, a garage, a carport, several versions of his own house (none of which are 800 sf).....oh, and a bomb shelter (don't ask. LOTS of rum that night). Friday night he came by with REAL plans of the final design for his new house.

BTW, if anyone wants a 1,200 sf 1920 bungalow for free, contact me. All you have to do is move it.

Excuse me if there is another thread on this subject, but my husband and I just built a bay house with 824 sq. feet. It took us 2 years looking for a builder who would do this. We ended up settling for Jim Walter. Are there no architects doodling on paper napkins at singles bars who could come up with a house at 800 sqf under $100,000? Excluding the cost of land, of course.

Do a Google search for Katrina cottages.

Mark Schatz and Anne Eamon have done some great work on small houses. Their 700 square foot home that they built for themselves was on the AIA Home Tour several years ago and has been featured in Dwell magazine and on HGTV and Fine Living. Their 1200 square foot studio was also on a AIA Home Tour and is built to be a home. They have many other designs they have played around with and we have had discussions on building a small community of these homes. Their firm is m+a architecture studio.

there is a company called Tiny Houses up by Austin....very cool small houses made with recycled mat. Lowes has some plans online...they are kinda mod..guessing they were developed to get a grant or something from the gov. They were once advertised as living quarters for hurricane victims

• 2 weeks later...

Archived