Midtown Townhome

Trophy Property

My fiance and I live in a townhouse in Midtown that was built in 2000. It is an older Perry floorplan and actually flows very nice. The unfortunate thing is that the finishes are sub-par and boring. We have already had to replace the carpet because the Berbar that came with the house was apartment grade and did not last 5 years. Our kitchen is all white and extremely boring. We are thinking about painting the cabinets, putting in granite countertops, and putting in a stainless steel sink. Our taste is pretty nuetral, but we might sell as soon as 24-36 months from now. I am not worried about re-couping all that money, but I would like to see some appreciation due to the changes we make. Does anyone have any idea how we should look at these projects. Is it a total waste of money, are the other changes we should look at doing that translate to value appreciation. I always heard that installing a pool and landscaping was always a waste of money from an appreciation standpoint. Does the same apply to kitchen work. Thanks.

Here's one analysis of it...

http://houseandhome.msn.com/improve/whichi...ntspayback.aspx

Oh joy!  My 100th post.

Thanks, that was what I wanted to see. I am all over the improvements now. I figure if we like them that is what really matters. I was only planning on spending $5k or so. Hopefully it will be recouped when we sell.

Thanks,  that was what I wanted to see.  I am all over the improvements now.    I figure if we like them that is what really matters.  I was only planning on spending $5k or so.    Hopefully it will be recouped when we sell.

Just make sure your improvemets don't end up looking all old and dated down the road when you get ready to sell....then you may be in for a negative ROI 'cause everybody will say ewww gross!

My two cents:

The Perry homes are basically commodities, meaning that there is very little to make one stand out from another. Assuming all other things being equal (similar floorplan, location, and surrounding development), people will just look at price and perhaps if you have a corner unit (more windows) or not.

With that said, I don't think you will necessarily get more money for your home, but you WILL sell it faster (which means a price closer to what you are asking). You need to do what you can to make yours look more custom, but still stay neutral to reach the widest audience. Granite, stainless, nice hardwoods or carpeting are all the minimum you should have because that is what the new units have (your competition). In addition, you might repaint some rooms in a neutral, non-taupe color.

If you choose to paint the kitchen cabinets, then use only the very best oil-based paint or (better) have it professionally done. There is nothing worse than shoddy paint on cabinets--it won't wear well. I just finished painting my cabinets and they turned out beautifully, but I have been painting trim throughout the house and have become quite skilled over time. Because the kitchens are so open and bright, I would think about painting them a semi-gloss black and then use a taupy, neutral granite top and brushed metal door/drawer pulls. THAT will make then stand out and look classy and would be very different. Google on 'black kitchen cabinets' and see what I'm talking about!

I have more to add, but I'll leave it at this and see what other people offer up.

Travelguy_73

My two cents:

The Perry homes are basically commodities, meaning that there is very little to make one stand out from another.  Assuming all other things being equal (similar floorplan, location, and surrounding development), people will just look at price and perhaps if you have a corner unit (more windows) or not.

With that said, I don't think you will necessarily get more money for your home, but you WILL sell it faster (which means a price closer to what you are asking).  You need to do what you can to make yours look more custom, but still stay neutral to reach the widest audience.  Granite, stainless, nice hardwoods or carpeting are all the minimum you should have because that is what the new units have (your competition).  In addition, you might repaint some rooms in a neutral, non-taupe color.

If you choose to paint the kitchen cabinets, then use only the very best oil-based paint or (better) have it professionally done.  There is nothing worse than shoddy paint on cabinets--it won't wear well.  I just finished painting my cabinets and they turned out beautifully, but I have been painting trim throughout the house and have become quite skilled over time.  Because the kitchens are so open and bright, I would think about painting them a semi-gloss black and then use a taupy, neutral granite top and brushed metal door/drawer pulls.  THAT will make then stand out and look classy and would be very different.  Google on 'black kitchen cabinets' and see what I'm talking about!

I have more to add, but I'll leave it at this and see what other people offer up.

Travelguy_73

That is what we were thinking. By all means we would get a professional in to paint the cabinets. Our thought about coutnertops is to go with granite but in a very subdued manner/color. The walls are already painted a nice nuetral color and the carpet is a light speckled Frieze. I am not sure how we are going to handle the appliances. They all work fine and replacing the Fridge, Washer, Microwave, and Range just because we like Stainless steel seems a bit extreme. We might choose cabinets and counters that work well with the white appliances.

I have heard it is possible to change the skin of most appliances for a fraction of the cost, but I am nost sure how that works.

In my opinion I would say our townhouse is one of the more practical layouts of any of the Perry Midtown projects. It is very open and with an excellent useage of space.

I would never buy a Perry home again, but I was a first time buyer coming from Apartment living. It seemed pretty baddass when I bought it. Two years later I am already ready for an upgrade, but without having to neccesariy move.

You can't blame Perry for the original owner not spending for the upgrades.

We went for upgrades, and were very happy.

And ours sold in less than a week.  I think our patio sealed the deal.

I think the key is not to go crazy and list the property at some outrageous price. When I am ready to sell I will price it to sell.

• The title was changed to Midtown Townhome