Adding Apartment Above Existing Garage

I've got a recently (2004) built garage in my backyard that I am interested in adding livable space above. It's typical 2 car garage size in very good condition. Would it be possible to just raise the existing roof in place by 5-6 feet to create enough room? That way the roof structure and roofing would not need to be replaced entirely which seems like a big waste since it is so recent. If not, then I imagine the project would be even more costly than I had feared because of the need to demo and haul off the existing roof and structure. If possible, what's a reasonable ball park cost I would need to be budgeting for? It's about 20x20 space-wise and I would want to add a 3/4 bath, but probably don't need a kitchenette (it would be for a mother in law so I probably couldn't keep her out of the house and make her eat out there!) Any insights are appreciated.

This sounds like an expensive project.

Other factors: Water supply, Sewer, Heating/Cooling, Electricity, Stairs, Foundation, Siding, Flooring, Windows.

You could easily surpass $20,000

flipper

I was thinking 20-30k in my head so that does not shock me. I'm in West U, though so I'd imagine that would add some costs in terms of permits/compliance and the likelihood of contractors figuring I can afford it so charging more.

I was thinking 20-30k in my head so that does not shock me. I'm in West U, though so I'd imagine that would add some costs in terms of permits/compliance and the likelihood of contractors figuring I can afford it so charging more.

You might first check to see if it's even allowed in your neighborhood. In mine, garage apartments built before a certain time frame are grandfathered in, but new ones are not allowed.

The irony is, if done right, you could build a brand new garage with a pretty decent space up top for the same price as retrofitting your existing one.

Last ballpark quote I got for a garage/apt. was $70-75,000. To build it as my own GC, we estimated $50-60,000. Just to get the shell, with no interior, is probably $28-30,000, though you'll save some money on the slab.

Speaking of slabs, it is likely that the current slab was not poured with a second floor in mind, so your foundation piers may not support the extra load. If that is true, add demo to all of my numbers.

That is a good point about the slab, but it is most likely good enough. Anything more than a 5-6" slab can handle this. But it is absolutely worth the call to an engineer to have it checked.

75k for an apartment? Where can I charge such an amount!

• 2 weeks later...

Assuming you're building straigt up, you could salvage any beams and joists in the ceiling and reuse them for the new ceiling. Also, the first floor walls should be OK. You need to have a good framer that can do this quickly, and he needs to have all the material onsite and ready. Consult with the original engineer who recently designed the one story garage, this should save time and money. 70K for redo? - The teardown should be around 4-6k only and the buildout can be as little as 40k with kitchenette and bathroom - get another quote.

Speaking of slabs, it is likely that the current slab was not poured with a second floor in mind, so your foundation piers may not support the extra load. If that is true, add demo to all of my numbers.

Take into account that the garage slab was probably poured at the same time as the house slab, if his house is a two story, he should be ok, if it is a one story house, I would ask how high his roofline is.

Take into account that the garage slab was probably poured at the same time as the house slab, if his house is a two story, he should be ok, if it is a one story house, I would ask how high his roofline is.

Not necessarily. I also thought it was a detached garage. They wouldn't waste the money on extra material if there was no need for it, attached or not.

• 1 year later...
Assuming you're building straigt up, you could salvage any beams and joists in the ceiling and reuse them for the new ceiling. Also, the first floor walls should be OK. You need to have a good framer that can do this quickly, and he needs to have all the material onsite and ready. Consult with the original engineer who recently designed the one story garage, this should save time and money. 70K for redo? - The teardown should be around 4-6k only and the buildout can be as little as 40k with kitchenette and bathroom - get another quote.

After sitting on the project for awhile I recently had a few companies come out and take a look (including the company that did the garage in the first place.) Each was roughly $70k, and I confirmed that they were going to save the first floor and use that, in addition to the slab. I guess construction materials and labor haven't come down any? I can't imagine what the estimate would have been if I had needed to build all the way from scratch. Probably high enough that I could have just bought a house in the burbs with it instead for the visiting in-laws.

After sitting on the project for awhile I recently had a few companies come out and take a look (including the company that did the garage in the first place.) Each was roughly $70k, and I confirmed that they were going to save the first floor and use that, in addition to the slab. I guess construction materials and labor haven't come down any? I can't imagine what the estimate would have been if I had needed to build all the way from scratch. Probably high enough that I could have just bought a house in the burbs with it instead for the visiting in-laws.

That is the best idea ever, keeping them far away while they visit. As good as my idea of the in-laws coming to visit on a weekend I'll be out of town for a bachelor party. Not that I harbor any ill-will toward my in-laws, I just hate overnight visitors at my house. There just always...there.

• 1 month later...

I am guessing the detached garage is a slab and is not sheetrocked. The framing for the ceiling now may not be engineered for sheetrock load, probably 20' 2x6's, but all the ceiling material can be used for your apartment ceiling if you have the walls properly placed to brace both sheetrock and roof load. the floor joists would have to be 2x12's AND engineered beams, and the roof material can be salvaged. The major issue is the slab, and how deep and wide the beams are and if they can support the load. 70k still seemd high though without total demo

ijaxon

Archived