Pinelawn

genghiskahn

My wife and I are considering a home in the Pinelawn subdivision of the Heights. Between Studewood and the 600 blocks of 16th through 18th streets. Does anyone have any experience in this area? Is there lots of vehicle traffic around Field Elementary School?

While we're at it, does anyone know any of the history of Pinelawn?

Thanks for any info anyone has. I've been a lurker at this board for a while and I'm always appreciative to learn new things about the area.

My wife and I are considering a home in the Pinelawn subdivision of the Heights. Between Studewood and the 600 blocks of 16th through 18th streets. Does anyone have any experience in this area? Is there lots of vehicle traffic around Field Elementary School?

While we're at it, does anyone know any of the history of Pinelawn?

Thanks for any info anyone has. I've been a lurker at this board for a while and I'm always appreciative to learn new things about the area.

Looks like you're a couple of blocks north of us.. I'm not sure how traffic is around Field, since I don't usually head north in the mornings..

I don't know if you've researched field, but it's not the greatest of schools.. it gets a lot of the north-east of N. Main kids.. So the traffic might be a population which is less than desirable.. We're sending our kids to either private or a Vanguard program at other schools..

Our street is relatively quiet.. 16th and 18th would have a lot of traffic since they are thru streets.. If you're on one of the inner blocks, it might be better.

As for History, I don't know much about that.. Our house was built in 1930 and had a down to the frame renovation in '06. Looking at old maps of the area, it seems "relatively" new compared to Heights proper and Woodland/Norhill heights.. everywhere I've look for info, I hadn't been able to come up with anything..

There has been a lot of renovations in my area as well as some new builds.. so the market must be somewhat hot.. the neighbours are friendly and many have been there for years.. and it's an easy walk to Fiesta on 14th for Milk or wine.. :)

Welcome to da hood!

Looks like you're a couple of blocks north of us.. I'm not sure how traffic is around Field, since I don't usually head north in the mornings..

I don't know if you've researched field, but it's not the greatest of schools.. it gets a lot of the north-east of N. Main kids.. So the traffic might be a population which is less than desirable.. We're sending our kids to either private or a Vanguard program at other schools..

Our street is relatively quiet.. 16th and 18th would have a lot of traffic since they are thru streets.. If you're on one of the inner blocks, it might be better.

Welcome to da hood!

Thanks for the info. I've looked at Field's numbers and know it's not a great school but we don't have kids yet so that decision is at least 5 years down the road. There's always Vanguard, which you mentioned.

From my limited driving around in the area, it seems like N. Main is the dividing line between neighborhoods that are well-kept and neighborhoods which are not. I know Pinelawn has Deed Restrictions in place, will those help keep the neighborhood from looking junky?

Thanks again.

Ummm...okay....

18th definitely gets some cut through traffic between Heights/Yale and Studewood. Oxford gets a fair amount of N/S traffic, too between 20th and Reagan.

I think students zoned to Fields can apply to transfer anywhere in the district because of the lack of performance on tests. That said, I've got high hopes for Fields - we met with the principal last winter and he seemed to have high energy and good ideas on getting the school turned around.

From my limited driving around in the area, it seems like N. Main is the dividing line between neighborhoods that are well-kept and neighborhoods which are not. I know Pinelawn has Deed Restrictions in place, will those help keep the neighborhood from looking junky?

Thanks again.

Not sure if it would be deed restrictions or just the values of the area which will keep the neighbourhood from looking junky.. A quick plot of the value of my house has it rising over ~300% in the last 5 years.. (Granted.. there was a remodel during that time..) If there's a trashy house in this area, it's days will be numbered.. It'll either be a tear-down or a re-do.. (In my estimation..) The property values will eventually push out the riff-raff.. and they'll move to the other side of N. Main.. ;)