Old Peeling Paint, Tape

I mean really peeling, off in sheets. Any clues? Is is old bad latex paint? Have been peeling out old paper wallpaper in the laundry room and the on the facing wall, the paint is peeling off in sheets as well. There is primer under the paint. Could it be residue from prior wallpaper glue, or just crappy paint? Crappy taping and floating jobs to fix too--tape peeling away from the walls in the kitchen area. Should I be concerned with moisture (no obvious problems) or is it old, or just a junky job?

We have an entire living room to de-paper as well, so any removal and priming techniques are appreciated!

Before you waste alot of time removing wallpaper, you may want to think of just installing 1/4 inch sheetrock then tape and float. Sounds like a real handyman worked in your house and just used whatever paint was around. Oil paint over latex primer will peel like that.

thx. Sheetrock is an option if I can make it work with the trim. Lots of trim.......I wondered about oil over latex. The wall wasn't textured or anytinng, you can see brush strokes for a thin layer of primer over the sheetrock, with the paper right over it. I'm hoping I don't discover paper over paint in the living room. Haven't started that job yet.

GREASER's explanation sounds most logical, except that latex over oil will also do that. While they do now make latex paint that will adhere to oil based paint, it is relatively new, and it is more expensive. If someone bought the cheap stuff and did not prepare the surface properly, you can have the mess that you are describing.

Archived