Klein ISD Bond Plan 2008

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

According to an article in the Houston Chronicle with accurate facts by Klein ISD, The new HS #5 will be 640,000 square feet and will have a capacity for 3,500 students. The school will be among one of the largest int the USA and the largest in the state of Texas. One of the most recent schools built in Texas over 600,000 square feet was Seven Lakes High School in Katy ISD just topping 610,000 square feet. Many other local school district leaders and committees have criticised Klein ISD for building such large facilities even with Klein Collins High School opening in 2001 topping a nearly very large 560,000 square feet. The new High School #5 will also be one of the most expensive in the country and the state of Texas. The new school has a large price tag of $116 million.

According to an article in the Houston Chronicle with accurate facts by Klein ISD, The new HS #5 will be 640,000 square feet and will have a capacity for 3,500 students. The school will be among one of the largest int the USA and the largest in the state of Texas. One of the most recent schools built in Texas over 600,000 square feet was Seven Lakes High School in Katy ISD just topping 610,000 square feet. Many other local school district leaders and committees have criticised Klein ISD for building such large facilities even with Klein Collins High School opening in 2001 topping a nearly very large 560,000 square feet. The new High School #5 will also be one of the most expensive in the country and the state of Texas. The new school has a large price tag of $116 million.

The largest high school in Texas is Martin High School in Arlington. It has somewhere close to 700,000 square feet. I read it on HAIF somewhere (Mark F. Barnes pulled it up).

I've noticed how the "Vote YES" signs have popped up everywhere throughout the area.

Not sure how I'll vote yet. I know it won't win me any fans on this site, but my child is in private school and would not directly benefit from this VERY expensive bond. However, after I do more research into the issue, who knows. I must say that even though I know KISD needs more room for students in an ever-growing area, it makes it difficult when you don't have kids in those schools. I'm sure residents without school-age children feel the same conflict.

• 2 weeks later...

Just Vote NO! :)

(Great e-mail below that I received this week, it was sent to all my neighbors as well!)

All,

I respect the many ideas that have been exchanged and recognize that there can be multiple perspectives. As we go into the last day of the election, I wanted to share some final thoughts as to why I became suspicious of this bond and researched it. I have included links below to some of the research I have done. I also used LexisNexis for much of the research. If anyone has LexisNexis, and needs those links just let me know.

1. Just because somebody has the biggest bull horn that does not necessarily make them right.

a. We have seen lots of expensive nice signs and fliers. We have learned that the school district cannot pay for them. Who is? I have not given any money, have you?

b. $646 Million dollars is a lot of money. It will be spent on a lot of things and a lot of vendors will benefit.

c. I am trying to get answers on who is giving to the PAC and I have not been able to. When I do, I will share that information.

2. Buy now or it won

Yo Pineada, Also check Texas state election law. If I understood what I was reading correctly, the state does provide for very specific election days for most governments, but they say school district can pick any day or time they please. Talk about obfuscation! The district is at least guilty of telling many 1/2 truths. So much for " open and honest communication".

Is there a list of schools that will be constructed and their locations?

Elementary #26

-Right behind Krimmel Intermediate

-Site was supposed to be cleared this month

High School #5

-Spring Cypress, 1 mile west of Gleannloch Farms

-I believe construction will start sometime this year

I not 100 percent sure, but I think construction may start on Intermediate #9 this year also. I have no idea where the location is.

Whew, that was a close one. Well now that the Civil War is over we can start with Reconstruction. I vote that we provide free therapy sessions for all the people who flipped out over this election. I was visiting at my uncle's on Sunday and he practically blew a fuse making an impassioned speech about how it's all about the money, not just in school bond elections, but politics and life in general. It was like Mr. Smith Goes To Washington only in Klein, TX. People are going to need some help recovering from this.

Whew, that was a close one. Well now that the Civil War is over we can start with Reconstruction. I vote that we provide free therapy sessions for all the people who flipped out over this election. I was visiting at my uncle's on Sunday and he practically blew a fuse making an impassioned speech about how it's all about the money, not just in school bond elections, but politics and life in general. It was like Mr. Smith Goes To Washington only in Klein, TX. People are going to need some help recovering from this.

I thought you couldn't vote in this election because you live in Dallas now, right?

• 4 weeks later...

The Klein in Touch e-mail sent out yesterday said 2008 Bond Projects to be initiated this summer is as follows: Construction on Elementary #26, Design for High School #5, Design for Intermediate #9, Design for South Transportation Center, and a number of misc. Projects.

Elementary #26

-Right behind Krimmel Intermediate

-Site was supposed to be cleared this month

High School #5

-Spring Cypress, 1 mile west of Gleannloch Farms

-I believe construction will start sometime this year

I not 100 percent sure, but I think construction may start on Intermediate #9 this year also. I have no idea where the location is.

Chris,

You have mentioned that you are a KCHS student with more than a keen interest in Architecture. If you were part of the KCDC that won at State Competition this year, congratulations.

Elementary 26 site clearing has started.

If you want to know where Intermediate 9 is going answer this question. What type of school is next to all four high schools in Klein ISD?

Why are you so interested in Klein ISD's construction projects?

Has anybody noticed that Klein just hired the guy who presided over the Key Middle school debacle to replace Tom Ricker? Mr. Robertson, a Klein Education Foundation board member, recently hired Rick Mann at HISD. Mr. Mann is now the Construction and Facilities Services Support Services manager at HISD. Mr. Robertson was hired by Mr. Mann and the rest of the board Tuesday night. Will wonders never cease? The nepotism and cronyism at Klein have reach the level of incest. All of those board members who sold water to the district were not enough. Then we got a member whose husband is a partner in a law firm that does bidness with the district. It is bad enough that we have three members who are married to administrators, or recently retired ones. Jim Smith's floor fits not withstanding, when will we get to see their idiot children? I can't wait.

Has anybody noticed that Klein just hired the guy who presided over the Key Middle school debacle to replace Tom Ricker? Mr. Robertson, a Klein Education Foundation board member, recently hired Rick Mann at HISD. Mr. Mann is now the Construction and Facilities Services Support Services manager at HISD. Mr. Robertson was hired by Mr. Mann and the rest of the board Tuesday night. Will wonders never cease? The nepotism and cronyism at Klein have reach the level of incest. All of those board members who sold water to the district were not enough. Then we got a member whose husband is a partner in a law firm that does bidness with the district. It is bad enough that we have three members who are married to administrators, or recently retired ones. Jim Smith's floor fits not withstanding, when will we get to see their idiot children? I can't wait.

Rob Robertson's hire had nothing to do with the relationship he had with the School Board. Rob Robertson is a personal friend of Jim Cain and lives in Gleannloch Farms. If you want to point the finger of nepotism make sure you point it in the right direction.

I guess you forgot the fact that all the School Board members are elected officials, not appointed. How nepotism plays into that I am not sure. If you don't like how the School Board is going get out of your chair and run, good luck. Be sure to use proper grammar when addressing the public, thank goodness speaking doesn't require spelling words correctly like "business".

Archived