Klein ISD Bond Plan 2008

Chris

If anyone has passed by, construction on Ulrich Intermediate School is going well, they already have the main drop-off loop and a portion of the parking lot laid now. One fact I pointed out before I believe was how close this school will be to Spring Cypress Rd. There really isn't that much space between the parking lot and Spring Cypress Rd. Krimmel has a large amount of space from the school and FM 2920, but that plot of land is totally different from the Ulrich site.

Construction on Mueller Elementary School is really going pretty fast also. Construction crews have bricked a large portion if not all of the building. The entire parking lot was laid months ago. The tin roofing has also been laid, and it is green just like the roofing on Frank Elementary. Unlike Ulrich, Mueller sits in the middle of knowhere behing Krimmel.

Just so you know that is a standing seam metal roof, not a tin roof.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

We have known that for quite some time

This bond screw up is really amusing to me. It is funny the amount of uneducated people there are that vote on these things.

First off, the Board has NOTHING to do with the current state of the KISD Bond. Let me say that again, the Board has NOTHING to do with the current state of the KISD Bond.

The School Board voted and approved the same Bond that the residents voted and appproved. It was imo the wrong move which is evident by what is happening today. However, the Board has done nothing to change the proposal since then. It is Jim Cain, and the District "experts" who are in charge of the changes being made, not the Board. The Board will only be presented the potential changes in January that are going to be made by the District and vote on whether they approve them or not. See the Board and the District are independent of each other in many ways. In fact I am willing to bet the Board has very little idea of what the changes are if you asked them. The District doesn't like to share information like that.

You see, the district screwed up and didn't heed the warning signs that the economy was slowing down and now they have bitten off more than they can chew. But KHS had to be rebuilt into the Taj Mahal, so the KHS residnets who voted this through are now upset they won't get their new school since the taxes can't be collected to pay for it. But rather than build the new HS #5 to benefit all, they would rather tell everyone that they are more important than the rest of the districts needs and not build HS #5, and rebuild KHS where it is (Option C). So their true motives have now come to the surface. As if everyone didn't know them already.

Anyhow, I can sit back and laugh at this one where all the people who supported Cain for the bond are now getting screwed by their leader. It is truly ironic.

This bond screw up is really amusing to me. It is funny the amount of uneducated people there are that vote on these things.

First off, the Board has NOTHING to do with the current state of the KISD Bond. Let me say that again, the Board has NOTHING to do with the current state of the KISD Bond.

Anyhow, I can sit back and laugh at this one where all the people who supported Cain for the bond are now getting screwed by their leader. It is truloy ironic.

I appreciate your adding a fresh prespective on this as far as the board's role etc.

Personally, I supported the bond but am glad that they are trying to ratchet things back now that the growth does not warrant five high schools.

Personally, I like the idea of making High School No. 5 -- or as we like to call it 4.5 -- into the new Klein High & I like the idea of using the old Klein High for multi-purpose site. Or another idea I had heard floated but never on paper -- eventually rebuild Klein Hgih as a vocational-technical or career magnet school.

However, the biggest issue here is that the Klein High people are worried that some of them might get rezoned to Klein Forest. What they don't get is that if they rezoned the whole district, the demographics at Klein Forest would change & it wouldn't be struggling with TAKS etc. I'm very happy here in Greenwood Forest because I know that our kids go to Greenwood, Wunderlich and Klein Forest, which I really like a lot.

Alas -- I'm afraid the Klein High hardliners are going to throw such a fit - that they'll wind up rebuilding it with the students on site, which I think is a real shame. What I'm looking forward to is the Gleannloch Farms contingent -- the sleeping giant -- to get involved and weigh in with their concerns -- they really do need High School No. 5 since Klein Oak is a real haul for them and it's getting overcrowded.

Ironically, a lot of people in the south end during the 04 Bond did not want Klein Forest to get the new wing .. which techincally takes our capacity to 4,000. Of course, the North end had no problem with that extra capacity for our school... since we're in the south end of the distirct. Now, our extra capacity might bit them in the butt since we will have room to take extra students.

They should revone Champion Forest or Kleinwood over to Klein Forest I wonder what the residents of these neigborhoods would think

Over Capacity Klein Oak

Under Capacity Klein

Under Capacity Klein Collins

At Capacity Klein Forest

The Board knows what Dr. Cain tells them. The Texas open meetings law is very specific about who they can and who they can't speak to, and when. There is little to no discussion at their meetings. In fact, the District wants all questions answered before the meeting. The Board is sent the agenda with all of the backup information. If they have questions they need to contact the person who placed the item on the agenda. There have been times when favored Board members have had their questions responded to and those who are out of favor are ignored. Sometimes the questions are identical. A Board member can only speak to two other members regarding an issue, otherwise, it is a violation of the TOMA. The State wants public discussion, the Administration does not. TASB trains superintendents how to get around open meetings. These Zoning Committees and Bond Committees are a ruse. The district loads them up with sycophants and employees and a couple of people who have had some kind of flap with the district. They are spoon fed what the district wants them to know.Then the district makes the announcement that consensus has been reached. The District just turned the Dec.10 Bond committee meeting that is open to the public into a Public meeting. There is a big difference. My question remains. If Forest can be effectively run at 4000 students, or more, why can't all Klein high schools be 4000? If Forest is good enough for some of us, it is good enough for all of us. I owe all students in the district good schools. I do not owe their parents school choice.

Construction on Blackshear Elementary and Elementary #28 will begin in March of next year.

Blackshear is located literally 1 1/2 miles southeast of Korhville Elementary on Lacey Road.

Elementary #28 will be located near the intersection of FM 2920 and Huffsmith Korhville Road on Mahaffey Rd.

Both schools will be a repeat design of Benignus, Frank and Mueller Elementary Schools with slight modifacations.

Both facilities will serve a capacity of 850 students with over 115,000 square feet of instructional space.

If you haven't passed by Ulrich lately, Nearly the entire building is bricked. The Feild House is being constructed.

If you haven't passed by Ulrich lately, Nearly the entire building is bricked. The Feild House is being constructed.

BTW: While Ulrich is being built with a wireless network/capability in place -- however, the students will not be issued laptops as they did at Krimmel Intermediate. Instead, the district is continuing to rollout the tablet PCs at the high school level -- Klein Oak & Klein Forest already have them with Collins getting them next year. Klein will get them last -- depending on what happens with construction there.

I missed the meeting last night but I noticed a new doc on the KISD web site about the different construction plans: http://www.kleinisd.net/docs/50-KISD_HS_MPLAN_12-15-09%20Abridged.pdf

One thing I noticed on both the option "A" plans is that Kleb is also being leveled and rebuilt at the back of the property. Where are they going to put all the Kleb students while this is going on? At Ulrich??? Or are they going to build the new Kleb first and move them and then level the old Kleb? Was any of this discussed at the meeting last night? After the meeting, which way do you thing the administration is leaning?

I missed the meeting last night but I noticed a new doc on the KISD web site about the different construction plans: http://www.kleinisd....%20Abridged.pdf

One thing I noticed on both the option "A" plans is that Kleb is also being leveled and rebuilt at the back of the property. Where are they going to put all the Kleb students while this is going on? At Ulrich??? Or are they going to build the new Kleb first and move them and then level the old Kleb? Was any of this discussed at the meeting last night? After the meeting, which way do you thing the administration is leaning?

After attending the last bond steering committee meeting -- which was basically a one-sided town hall meeting where people were trying to arm wrestle me into signing a petition to "Save Klein HIgh" -- I opted not to attend last night's meeting. I cannot believe the district would consider tearing the stadium etc. to give one high school feeder pattern their way. It's fine to be upset that they may not be able to rebuild Klein High in the original timetable, but it is a ridiculous waste of money to not do the first part that was voted on -- build the new high school and relocate the students there. I think there are plenty of people out there who don't run around ranting or joining ridiculous Facebook groups -- that actually want Dr. Cain and the board to make the hard choice and the most fiscally responsible choices - no matter who is going to be unhappy about it. Klein ISD is a community and it's not about north or south, east or west -- people need to quit fighting and realize your child is getting a good education because this is a quality district.

• 1 month later...

Several steering committee members said the Klein High School replacement project would probably provoke the most criticism and opposition.

And It did even now.

Don't Save Klein High

• 1 month later...

Construction on Ulrich Intermediate is moving along well, All electricity is on and the complete exterior is finished.

The Klein ISD School naming committee is recommending that Elementary School #28 be named Bernshausen Elementary School. One board member made the suggestion that if the name Prarie Hill were to be choosen, it should replace the name for Blackshear Elementary and name Elem.#28 Blackshear since the original Prarie Hill Elementary is closer to Elem. #27, Blackshear. The name recommended is not final though.

Final Names to be choosen

-Bernshausen

-Clow

-French School

-Fritz

-Fuchs

-Heiden

-Hofius

-Kies

-Kothmann School

-Oak Grove

-Prairie Hill

-Spell

-Zwick

• 3 months later...

Elementary School #28 will now be located on Spring Stuebner Rd. east of Rothwood Rd. in the new Park at Klein Subdivision. The school will be designed by PBK Architects, the same firm who designed the new High School #5. I'm assuming the architecture will be outstanding given the way High School #5 looks. Klein ISD will use this same design for the next new 4-5 Elementary schools in the future.

On another note both the Klein Oak and Klein Collins additions are complete. Teachers at Klein Collins were allowed to move into their new classrooms over the past two weeks. A marquee was finally constructed in front of Klein Collins as well this summer. Both additions were designed by RWS Architects, the original architect of Klein Collins High School. Klein Collins High School is now 602,000 square feet, and Klein Oak High School is now near 565,000 square feet with the new additions.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

And now Funds from HS#5(to hear forth to be known as Klein5) have been moved to build an elementary school. an intermediate school, Technology, and Renovations after 2012.

• The title was changed to Klein ISD Bond Plan 2008

Archived