Houston Doctor And His Family Defect To The USSR

Poppahop

Interesting to read the Chron's take on this story. Most people have forgotten the Chron once was a conservative newpaper; when the Post went under, it became the new liberal read in town.

However, in the 80s, the Post would run ads for guns and the Chronicle forbid it.

I tried defecting to Russia recently and they just called me a "tourist". Kind of a buzz-kill.

Interesting to read the Chron's take on this story. Most people have forgotten the Chron once was a conservative newpaper; when the Post went under, it became the new liberal read in town.

I'm interested by your "take" on the Chron's "take". You seem to be saying that only a conservative newspaper would express disapproval of an American who decides he would rather live under a communist dictatorship. (?)

That sort of implies that you think a liberal newspaper would think it was just peachy.

As I recall, both our newspapers of that day -- the Chron and the Post -- had low opinions of Dr. Lockshin.

Speaking just for me, I agree with the Chron's editorial writer who said, "If Arnold Lockshin prefers Moscow to Houston, we are pleased that he is in Moscow."

I confess to being surprised to know he stayed there, even after the Soviet Union collapsed, and that his now adult children still live there. Oh well. They're free to come and go now, and if they're happy I'm happy.

• 3 months later...
  • The title was changed to Houston Doctor And His Family Defect To The USSR

Archived