Highland Knolls Expansion In Katy

TEX

As many of you may know, the Terry Hershey Park Trail (and/or others connecting?) now goes all the way from Fry Road at Highland Knolls to the Sam Houston Parkway near Memorial Drive - quite a distance. The problem, if you live in Katy, is that there is nowhere to park other than the Walgreens and then cross Fry Road. I contacted the County Parks in our precinct about the possibility of building a parking lot on the East side of Fry right where the trail begins. I got an interesting reply. I was told that the idea of a parking lot had been brought up, especially since Walgreens has now filed several complaints, but it was not being seriously considered because of two things. One, the two neighborhoods on each side, when they caught wind of this, expressed concerns about noise and teenagers parking there at night, or parking lot lighting to avoid such that would let light pollution into surrounding properties (???). Also, that Highland Knolls was already slated to be extended all the way to Hwy 6 and it would go right through the middle of any such parking lot. This person did mention that when the road was extended or put through, they might consider building a parking area about 1/4-1/2 mile inward, East of Fry Road. Can anyone verify any of this.

I also asked about the possibly of the trail being extended beyond the Sam Houston toll road all the way to Memorial Park. This person told me that this also had been discussed and investigated, but that this portion would be especially difficult because many properties (residential and country club) extend right up to the bayou with no clear cut right of way or easement due to some of this land still titled or transferred under the old Spanish Land Grants, meaning they own every square foot right up to the water because the bayou is not considered a navigable water way (???). That was all a little over my head. He also said that a number of people who own the land is question have serious political clout and don

Edited by TEX

This is an interesting post - thanks for all of the information. Do you know when Highland Knolls will be punched through to Hwy. 6? It is interesting that Methodist is looking out this way. I also heard that someone purchased land along the Grand Parkway. With the new Memoral Hermann Katy hospital on I-10, the Texas Chidrens hospital on Barker Cypress, and maybe Methodist coming this way, we are going to have a lot of good hospitals to choose from. And more traffic.

They are right about lots of properties going to the middle of the creeks and bayous. When the bike path along White Oak Bayou was in the planning stages, the path was shown running behid the house on TC Jester South of 11th. Unfortunately for the bike trail planners, the property owners pulled out their tryust plats, and showed that their lots go to the middle of the bayou, and building th epath would not be allowed. So, the path ends at 11th.

• Like 1

the southeast corner of i-10 and 99 belongs to St Lukes I beleive. There was an article a long time ago in the Chronicle about this becomming a western medical hub with Memorial Hermann, St. Lukes (i think) Methodist, and Texas Childrens coming out. Add the expantion of Christus St. Catherine and it is definitely becoming another med center.

One of the hospitals is also supposed to have a level 1 trauma center, since there is only one in all of Houston now.

The reason why Terry Hershey is so nice is because there isn't a lot of public parking for it. Its remained a neighborhood park or for those willing to bike/walk to it. Thugs usually aren't willing to put in the effort to get there by foot or bike. I know it makes it harder for the good guy to get there and use it, but when you do get there its nice.

There are some very old,safe and quiet hoods that back to this park in the eastern sections. Inside the Beltway its not possible, and yes they have serious clout. The path would be IN their back yard, not just behind it. And who would want that?

• The title was changed to Highland Knolls Expansion In Katy