Office Building At 2402 Dunlavy St.

capnmcbarnacle

I have seen a sign for this for awhile but they appear to breaking ground. This project at the corner of Dunlavy and Fairview looks interesting. This lot has been vacant for years and was used to store construction equipment for Perry Homes during the Townhome Boom of 1996-98. Or as Obi Wan Kenobi would have called it, The Dark Times.

Anyway, Kaldis has done some good work around here (Hugo's, Paulies) and I'm happy to see this happening. I'm all for mixing up the uses and being a little unconventional. I think those of us who live around here can sense that big changes are happening (on the commecial development front, especially) and the next couple years will determine what the neighborhood will be for the next decades. The new project on Westheimer between Dunlavy and Woodhead, the Origin Place (former Martha Turner bldg.), and whatever goes where Antique Emporium used to be will set the stage. I think there is a real chance for sensible, interesting development that fits in with what Montrose is. An awesome strech of walkable retail, residentail, offices, bars and restaurants is feasible. It is there now and it is possilbe for new development and redevelopment to build off of it and augment it without sucking the life out of the place. Of course, that may just be the sunshine-pumping Montrose stoner talking.

Anyway, take a peek...

http://www.kaldis.com/theterraces.html

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Very disappointed in how this turned out. This is a walkable area with a lot of pedestrians. Instead of placing potentially interesting commercial storefronts at street level they are stuck up on the second floor, with a stucco wall and a dark parking area on the bottom. Maybe the designers were skittish about flooding. Or they just didn't care. Either way it's a missed opportunity for the area.

Very disappointed in how this turned out. This is a walkable area with a lot of pedestrians. Instead of placing potentially interesting commercial storefronts at street level they are stuck up on the second floor, with a stucco wall and a dark parking area on the bottom. Maybe the designers were skittish about flooding. Or they just didn't care. Either way it's a missed opportunity for the area.

Yes it can always be better, but I am pleased with the building. The site is attractive and made an effort to not disturb or damage the large oak tree. Pedestrian rightaway not signficicanly impacted. I was VERY afraid it would be more god-awful townhomes and that the tree would be damaged.

I do, by the way, live right around the corner.

Yes it can always be better, but I am pleased with the building. The site is attractive and made an effort to not disturb or damage the large oak tree. Pedestrian rightaway not signficicanly impacted. I was VERY afraid it would be more god-awful townhomes and that the tree would be damaged.

I do, by the way, live right around the corner.

I'm not too far away - a couple of blocks south of Westheimer just off Dunlavy. I'm happy to see any redevelopment in the area of course, and yes it had the potential to be worse. I just wish there were a little more predictability in how new structures relate to each other and the street/sidewalk, that's all.

I'm not too far away - a couple of blocks south of Westheimer just off Dunlavy. I'm happy to see any redevelopment in the area of course, and yes it had the potential to be worse. I just wish there were a little more predictability in how new structures relate to each other and the street/sidewalk, that's all.

I'm disappointed. But I'll also say it could be much, much worse. I think they had an interesting dillemma with where to put parking for a small office/commercial building and chose to use a method that you see (and which I've always kind of liked) around here in the 60s of putting the parking below the building on street level. Considering the intersection has the Royal Bakery, another small office building and some apartments on the corner, I think this probably fits in pretty well. If this were on Westheimer or Alabama I'd be considerably more upset, but I never think of Fairview as much of a pedestrian, commercial street. I think my gripe has more to do with the aesthetics. I thought it might look really cool but it just seems blah to me.

I don't know. I consider those few blocks of Dunlavy on further north to have all the raw materials to develop into a bustling pedestrian-driven commercial area. At the minute the street front is just such a patchwork of residential, commercial and, frankly, nothing in particular. Some people see that as a virtue of this city's, but I don't take that POV.

• The title was changed to The Terraces: Dunlavy St. And Fairview St.
  • The title was changed to Office Building At 2402 Dunlavy St.