Vacant K-Mart On Mason Rd.

Standeck

It's going to pull some traffic from north of the freeway no doubt, but better than an empty storefront IMHO!

I like Fiesta for their produce and their ethnic items I can't find at HEB. Nice pan dulces and even Central Market doesn't have tamarindo paste (I just can't make a decent Pad Thai without it)!

Good Lord. Just what we need.

this was my thought exactly...but I also agree with standeck that it's better than an empty existing building...I also noticed the vacant super-k in rosenberg finally had a sign for new development, i'm a bit curious to see what they put in that one

Edited by houstonartstudent

They create an incredible amount of traffic. Incredible. I really don't think that parking lot is big enough for a Fiesta. My parents live near the one on Blalock. There were so many accidents at that intersection! We were pretty surprised that it was closing since the parking lot was still packed.

And I agree. Upkeep and maintenence doesn't seem to be a high priority with the Fiesta Corporation.

Edited by Tigerjag

Good Lord. Just what we need.

I know this is going to sound like I have a bug up my @$$, but......If you're so dead set against a Fiesta opening up there, why don't you lease the property and open up a store that's a little more to your liking? I happen to think it would be a GREAT alternative to the money gouging stores on the south side. Like that overpriced HEB on Fry and 99. I can't wait till the new Walmart on Bellaire and 99 opens up.

I LOVE competition.

CyKat

Well, I did change my opinion up a little bit in a later post - I said that I guess a Fiesta is better than an empty building just sitting there. I don't know how you could consider a Fiesta at Mason Road and I-10 competition for the HEB on Fry and 99. They are no where close to eachother. I live in Grand Lakes and go to the HEB because of the convenient location. Even if I absolutely loved Fiesta, I wouldn't shop at that specific location because it is so far from me.

I don't think it will be competition for much except for maybe a few of the stores just to the south. My original opinion came from what I have seen at the Fiesta on I-10 and Blalock (which is closing). It seems to draw a certain type of clientele...

• 3 weeks later...

Fiesta in Katy would be wonderful. As an expat I make the journey to Fiesta often just to get some 'homegrown' food that is reasonably priced.

Yes, I know there is a section in HEB but it's pretty boring. I think they are being very forward thinking and realising just how many 'foreigners' there are living in Katy.

One stat for you......there are 60,000 ex UK residents living in Houston, I wonder just how many Europeans there are?

It seems to draw a certain type of clientele...

This line makes me laugh. A lot. Many of my friends in the Memorial Villages lament the closing of the Fiesta at Blalock and I-10, I never could stand those wealthy people in the store either. LOL.

Edited by Scott08

. . . just how many 'foreigners' there are living in Katy.

No kidding! When I moved to Katy from the left coast, friends back in the SF Bay Area asked how I liked living with Texans. I had to answer that I hadn't met any Texans yet since I was living on a street with Nigerians, Ecuadorans, a metric ton of Brits and Scots, Chinese, Italians and one Good ol' Boy from Louisiana!

Since then of course I've met plenty of Texans and I'm proud to count myself among them. It's a state of mind more than anything else! :)

Houston (and Katy) are cosmopolitan cities, and the new Fiesta is going to pull in customers from the yuppies in Rancho Dinero looking for ethnic flavor to the 'scary brown people' from north of the freeway :rolleyes: looking for bargains and a taste of home, and more power to them.

. . . just how many 'foreigners' there are living in Katy.

No kidding! When I moved to Katy from the left coast, friends back in the SF Bay Area asked how I liked living with Texans. I had to answer that I hadn't met any Texans yet since I was living on a street with Nigerians, Ecuadorans, a metric ton of Brits and Scots, Chinese, Italians and one Good ol' Boy from Louisiana!

Since then of course I've met plenty of Texans and I'm proud to count myself among them. It's a state of mind more than anything else! :)

Houston (and Katy) are cosmopolitan cities, and the new Fiesta is going to pull in customers from the yuppies in Rancho Dinero looking for ethnic flavor to the 'scary brown people' from north of the freeway :rolleyes: looking for bargains and a taste of home, and more power to them.

Amen, I agree. The 'scary brown people' from north of the freeway. That's funny.

As for me, I'm more concerned about the crazy teenage drivers from Seven Lakes and Cinco Ranch High Schools than those "Scary brown people".

Cykat

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I noticed yesterday in the Katy Sun that they were advertising for all positions at a new Fiesta store that will open on S. Mason Rd. This must be it.

Fiesta is indeed taking over the old KMart at I-10 and Mason, but not all of it. There's still going to be a large piece of it sitting empty, so for all of you who are wanting to open a store, the space just became a little more reasonable to take on.

As for the old KMart in Rosenburg - i damned near had that entire building leased for a department store, but my client went batty on me, and walked from the deal after 3 months of working on it. I can tell you that there is going to be a medical clinic there, a rental car place, and a cell phone store there on the south end of the building. They are still looking for an anchor tenant.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Went and did a little shopping at the new Fiesta. Seems a little smaller than the old store on IH-10 and not as ethnically diverse (only two types of plantains instead of six). Basically it's a supermarket with a little Latin flavor.

There's the usual fresh deli, meat counter, fresh bakery and tortilla factory etc. The parking lot is ginormous and all the exits are signalized so it's a good alternative to the new HEB's 'crazy-go-nuts' traffic situation if you're over that way. Staff is in first week friendly mode smiling and saying Howdy to everyone they see! :) Prices seem slightly lower than the new HEB, about on par with the Highland Knolls HEB.

• The title was changed to Vacant K-Mart On Mason Rd.