Marketing Areas In East End/Eastwood, Idlywood, & Country Club Estates Are Known, But Marketing Smaller Unknown Areas

What area do you consider your home?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Where would you market your home in the larger East End?

• Is South of I-45 considered East End?
    • Is area from downtown to 610 considered East End?
    • Is the area North of Canal considered East End?
    • Would one general area [such as East End] help sell properties on MLS?
    • Should subdivisions near Eastwood/Mason Park/other well known areas be considered as these marketing areas when listing on MLS?

Having had connections to the East End for many years, it's always amusing to note the variety of marketing areas used on MLS. Today, I noted a couple of properties hat listed "Houston" as marketing area. There are many different opinions as to what constitutes the "East End", but I'm of the opinion that if "East End" were used as marketing area & the subdivision named, finding a home in the area would be much more simple, would unify the area, increase values & properties would sell much more quickly......just my opinion for whatever it's worth. I realize there is area 4 which covers East End, but next most important is marketing area. Case in point: I asked an area realtor to give me an opinion of value/market analysis of a property I own in East End in Sunnylan subdivision. The computer print out for comparables included an area on the North Side [near another property I own] with a similiar subdivision name. These properties were 15+ miles apart. Key map grids are helpful, but can be too defining. What is the "happy medium"? My time in the East End is limited to selling one house, but many of you have lotza work & $$$ tied up in your homes, give it thought.

It all depends who you ask. Those looking in from the outside use guides/maps/polls as a truly reliable source. Which is not the smartest thing to do. IMO. You and I know that if you ask long time residents, you get a whole different perspective. There may not be a totally correct answer I'm afraid.

Example: If you announce a home in Brookline or Pine Valley as East End, its somewhat true. Residents living around Mykawa will say they are SouthEast Houston. Which is quite true, even though its just about a mile down the road from Pine Valley/Brookline. I often refer to Broadmoor/Eastwood/Country Club Place/Idylwood as Near East End because heck we are! An outsider hears "East End" 1st thing that comes to mind (assumptions) is Harrisburg, Canal, Broadway. Ugh, I dont think so. Bascially they label or mentally picture ALL of this side of downtown as a gritty, unsafe, old part of the city. Now Magnolia area, Broadway/far east Navigation or all around the Brady' Landing I would say IS EAST END. A whole other world away. I personally say all north of Navigation or 1-10 is not East End more like North East, but thats sure to be disputed. Again, if people would stop relying on 100 year old plans and put themselves in the neighborhoods for a day they will realize that what you hear and read is so different than actually setting foot or driving around the areas of East End. Peace everyone. Tis' the season to be jolly! :)

Yeah, I've even heard of properties in Channelview being referred to as in the East End. Most people, it seems, have heard the moniker, but have a poor sense of where it starts and stops.

As far as residential real estate is concerned, I think you ought to consider it as being no larger than these boundaries:

• North by I-10
  • East by 610
  • South by 610, Telephone Rd., Brays Bayou, BNSF railroad, I-45
  • West by US 59

Boundaries confusing is reason for posting. How far East does "East End" go?

When I mention East End, reactions are either very positive [such as this is the "new Heights"] or very negative [ugh! old houses needing lotza work]. Old houses needing work is correct. The East End was built before Heights . I was hoping the poll would reveal what is "thought of" as boundaries. Thanks for responding

• 1 month later...

I am 48 years old and grew up near the East End. It's all a matter of perspective. I lived near the corner of Griggs and Telephone Rd and considered East End more centered around Telephone and Lawndale. My great Aunt and Uncle lived off Broadmor on Pierson and I considered that the East End. Maybe it had something to do with Little League Baseball which was all consumming in my life at the time and East End Little League was on Dumble next to Austin HS. In my mind that was East End. If you were over near Navagation, that was Magnolia Little League so by default that could not be the East End. If you went down the Gulf Freeway to Griggs that was Dixie Little League so again that could not be the East End. Maybe because Houston was smaller and my world was so small that I tended to subdivide what there was of it into much smaller and more defined areas. Thats my mental version of East End.

• The title was changed to Marketing Areas In East End/Eastwood, Idlywood, & Country Club Estates Are Known, But Marketing Smaller Unknown Areas

Archived