Secret Treasures

jwphillips2

When one of the new tenants moved into a well established building renovation, they decided to paint over a rather large 6' X 8' original mural on the wall and cover up the only "hippie art" in the area. I'm not sure after all these years that the current owners would want it published or revealed. It's also a shame that the remodeling company didn't know who Peter Max was.

Would you tell?

Suggestions? Advice?

When one of the new tenants moved into a well established building renovation, they decided to paint over a rather large 6' X 8' original mural on the wall and cover up the only "hippie art" in the area. I'm not sure after all these years that the current owners would want it published or revealed. It's also a shame that the remodeling company didn't know who Peter Max was.

Would you tell?

Suggestions? Advice?

It was a Peter Max original? Shame on them.

It's also a shame that the remodeling company didn't know who Peter Max was.

I wouldn't doubt it. I would start with Ebay and contact antiques road show/seriously.

We grew up with Peter's out of site, groovy art. I understand he started out somewhat low key and the rest just boomed beyond his wildest imagination. His timing was just right the 60's. Beatle's Yellow Submarine was probably his highest point not to mention his infleunce was everywhere. I recall clearly in 5th and 6th grade most of us kids had tablets, pencils and various school supplies with his psychedelic coloring all of over them. You could get this stuff at 7 Eleven's and K-mart for a mere 10 cents a tablet. We used to imitate his designs on posters (to win art contests in class) and also on desks!

Wiki should tell all about Peter. Far-out!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Max

6459.jpg

Guys, the only problem is that the people who own it, don't know they own it.

That is sad. Makes you wonder how many other relics like this have been painted over or stripped away. Unless I misunderstood, I (or anyone else) would know if Peter himself created that painting. Hundreds of artists were copying his style then. Oh well another will bite the dust it seems. :(

Archived