Some Questions

1. I personally like Allen Parkway into downtown.

4. The Carrillion is strange indeed. They are always fixing some part of it and alot of it is in different stages of disrepair. I think that area you are talking about behind starbucks and in front of Sherlocks has looked that way for some time now.

5. As far as I know, this area is in constant repair. Unfortunately its always small patch jobs that last about a week before they become worse than before. If I had any dates on this stuff I'd definately share them.

1. I personally like Allen Parkway into downtown.

4. The Carrillion is strange indeed. They are always fixing some part of it and alot of it is in different stages of disrepair. I think that area you are talking about behind starbucks and in front of Sherlocks has looked that way for some time now.

5. As far as I know, this area is in constant repair. Unfortunately its always small patch jobs that last about a week before they become worse than before. If I had any dates on this stuff I'd definately share them.

About Carrillion, yeah, one wonders what's going on. The portion facing Westheimer is stable and established. However, I am not sure how much of the portion at the back end is occupied. The area in front of Sherlocks has been under construction for a while. I believe that area housed a couple of restaurants or something but then they leveled the structure. I hope they arent converting the space into a parking lot. That would be HUGE shame!!

3: Where is this at exactly?? I drive past here everyday! I've never even noticed a sign? It's on the west side of the Belt right?

4: My wife & I eat at the various restaurants there everynow & then, and it seems to me they've just been fixing everything up. I don't think they've torn anything down that we noticed. The problem with the parking is that only in the last 10 years have developers started to toy with the idea of street front stores in new strip centers. I think they've finally figured out what shoppers want.

3: Briar Lake Village is on west of the beltway, at the intersection of City West and briar forest (across the school). Yes, there is a sign.

4: Regarding parking in front of stores, yeah thats the concept behind "power centers" where the customer can park right in front of the store and just be done with the business. Thats fine for places where people are just looking for convenience (such as outside big box stores, grocery stores etc) but it doesnt seem like a good idea for places like Carillon Point, T&C, Highland village etc. It would be nice to see some developments that make it enjoyable to stroll around. In fact, that makes sense from business point of view as well since longer the people stay at a dining/shopping venue, more likely they are going to spend some money at that place. But people dont like to walk around in parking lots. I dont know when would developers understand this simple fact.

3: Where is this at exactly?? I drive past here everyday! I've never even noticed a sign? It's on the west side of the Belt right?

By the way, have you noticed Westchase Manor under construction at Briar Park and meadowglen (i think) near Marriot Hotel? I am not sure if it is apartments, condos or town homes although I think I saw the sign saying "starting from mid $200,000s" so obviously it isnt apartment complex.

1. Pierce elevated, using McKinney, to go to work. Leaving work Louisiana up through the Katy Freeway.

BTW, I like the remodeling they are doing at this shopping center off of the Katy Freeway near Memorial City Mall. It is where the old Target use to be before it moved to Memorial City, and it has a Marshalls. This should be going on up, and down this corridor, because there are some ugly businesses along it.

1. Either Memorial or Allen Parkway into downtown. Second is either Main Street or Louisiana Street from the South. I imagine using Travis Street is going to kick arse as well once repairs are done.

2. No clue.

3. I've wondered the same. That land's been empty for a minute and you'd think that someone would've tapped into the fact that Westchase is fairly large and reasonably prosperous area that needs more retail. I don't think it will be upscale but it'll probably be a step up from some of your bargain basement centers.

4. No zoning and a preference by the average person to drive. It's a match made in "heaven." I really, really don't have a problem with parking lots as a concept (I drive myself and often enjoy it) but I agree that there's a tendency towards overkill these days.

5. Yes. Westheimer will be treated properly between Post Oak and the northbound feeder of the West Loop (just as the rest of the road has). Post Oak and San Felipe are scheduled for improvements once construction on the West Loop is completed. I remember the head of the city's Public Works department talking about this on TV last summer.

3. I've wondered the same. That land's been empty for a minute and you'd think that someone would've tapped into the fact that Westchase is fairly large and reasonably prosperous area that needs more retail. I don't think it will be upscale but it'll probably be a step up from some of your bargain basement centers.

I think the land is owned by the same company that owns Briar Lake Plaza, the tall building right next to the land, so it is part of that office complex. Therefore, I highly doubt it would be a free-for-all kind of thing with liquor store, nail shop and a pawn shop. From the rendering, it seems that it would be a two store building similar to those in Town and County village.

4: What is that construction going on behind Starbucks at Carillon Point on Westheimer? I didnt know Carillon Point is a Wulfe's project. It looks nice although, as in other retail centers, there is too much parking space and so the shops/restaurants seem rather disconnected. I wish they had made it more

Yeah I noticed that restaurant/lounge place going in. I wonder what it is.

If I recall correctly the back row of building house Sherlocks, Yoga Lotus, some eye doctor, Great Caruso (dinner theater), Fandango's (just remodeled) and Forno's Italian Restaurant.

Here is the original press release for the stuff being built next door:

Richfield rolls on multiple real estate fronts - 11/14/2003

After spending nearly a decade quietly amassing some 10,000 acres of land in the greater Houston area, Richfield Investment Corp. is finally starting to make some noise. The Houston company, which is capitalized by a small, private group of California-based investors, has broken ground on several large-scale real estate projects around the city. Scattered throughout Harris, Montgomery and Fort Bend counties, the deals range from single-family residential communities to mixed-use developments. The company's flagship project will occupy 104 acres of prime real estate in the west side of town. The parcel is located at the bellwether intersection of Westheimer and Beltway 8 in the fast-growing Westchase District. Richfield is developing the land using "smart growth" principles. The proposed project - called West8 - will include high-end apartments, storefront retail buildings, offices, medical facilities and a hotel. The initial phase of the development should begin in about six months with the residential component. A total of 530 upscale apartment units in four-story buildings - which Richfield will develop, own and manage - are planned for the site. Live/work units will also be developed. And approximately 145,000 square feet of new retail space is on tap as well. Houston-based Wulfe Co. has been hired to market the site to potential tenants. A new hotel could also be part of the overall plan. Richfield also owns the nearby Carillion Center, a retail center in Westheimer just inside the Beltway, which has been renovated and repositioned to include office space. Meanwhile, Richfield has its hands in at least six other projects throughout Houston in various stages of development. Several of those deals are high-density, single-family residential communities, incorporating new urbanism, or smart growth, concepts that focus on mobility and pedestrian amenities. The company also has established an affiliated firm called Richfield Homes to build houses in some of its developments.

[Houston Business Journal]

I'm not sure if it has passed on to another developer by now or not.

If I remember correctly, I read somewhere on the WCD website that this is going to be a new home subdivision. I think... It could have been townhomes... Damn it - Now you've got me wondering...

I think that space is too small for a housing subdivisions. I think most likely they are going to be townhomes. The starting price is mid 200s so they must be quite upscale.

I think that space is too small for a housing subdivisions. I think most likely they are going to be townhomes. The starting price is mid 200s so they must be quite upscale.

Found the following site with lots of info on whats going in Westchase district. According to this, Westchase Manor is being developed by Lakeland Development and was called Westchase Trails.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:1MsoY...e+Houston&hl=en

BTW, I like the remodeling they are doing at this shopping center off of the Katy Freeway near Memorial City Mall. It is where the old Target use to be before it moved to Memorial City, and it has a Marshalls. This should be going on up, and down this corridor, because there are some ugly businesses along it.

I don't understand the popularity of that kind of remodeling. While the existing buildings were of little architectural significance, at least they were real, true and straight forward. What is the beauty in covering a real, naturally colored, brick wall with plastic foam and artificial stucco?

All of the massive "rock" columns are actually hollow metal framed boxes covered with globs of fiberglass laden mortar, shaped and surface colored, to resemble stone. And what about all the giant moldings around every edge! The purpose of molding is to cover up joints and poorly connected parts. If someone needs a 24" wide molding to hide a connection they should find a new profession. It's all fake, artifical and worthless.

The cover-up of the wonderful deco/moderne center on West Holcombe at Greenbriar was a tragic loss. They spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on foam and plastics and actually devalued their property.

The cover-up of the wonderful deco/moderne center on West Holcombe at Greenbriar was a tragic loss.  They spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on foam and plastics and actually devalued their property.

It's financial darwinism... Just like those townhomes at Post Oak and the Beltway. Bad idea... big losses... hopefully they moved on to buying Arizona beachfront.

You know, This isn't the first era to do that. Think of all the buildings (usually stone & brick in a downtown district) in cities across the nation that have had metal sheets put up over their original facade back in the 60's in an attempt to look modern. Now we're ripping it all down.

Maybe 30 years from now, we'll miss all the old brick, and tear all the foam down.

:humming: "..when the foam - comes tumblin' down.." :)

That may have been your best post ever, 27. LOVE the song! Except, now I'll be humming it for the rest of the day. :P