Is River Park A Good Neighborhood?

DaVil03Z

Hi everybody... My wife and I recently moved to Houston a few months ago and are currently staying with my In-laws right around bissonnett and highway 6. We moved from MI and are really loving the city so far! Great economy... awesome weather (it was 25 degrees during T-day in MI) and the cost of living is phenomenal! Anyway, we're currently looking for a house and our budget is around 180-190k. We both work in the Galleria area so access to 59 is crucial. Right now, we both currently take Beechnut to 59 and it takes us about 50 minutes to get to work every morning!!! We're looking for houses in the River Park area right by 99 and us-59, the 77479 zip code. Is this a good area to buy a house!? We've seen several houses (2 story, approx. 2400 sq. ft) for 180... even less than. This is what we're looking for:

Safety

Quiet Neighborhood

Easy access to 59

Diversity (optional)

We would like a neighborhood with a good mix of people, but it's not essential as long as the first 2 criteria are met. In Michigan, the neighborhood we lived in was predominantly white, and where we currently live, it's predominantly black (we're asian). Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

I'm not sure how you feel about living near prisons, but there are at least two nearby that location. Several are in the 77469 and 77478 zip codes. Take a drive on Hwy 90a sometime and you'll see.

You can find the TDCJ facilities for Region III (which includes the greater Houston area), at this link. The ones I mentioned are the Central and Jester units.

I'm not sure how you feel about living near prisons, but there are at least two nearby that location. Several are in the 77469 and 77478 zip codes. Take a drive on Hwy 90a sometime and you'll see.

You can find the TDCJ facilities for Region III (which includes the greater Houston area), at this link. The ones I mentioned are the Central and Jester units.

Hmmmmm... That's a bit disconcerting. Is it a safe neighborhood, though? Have there been any recent prison breaks that I should be aware of? For 180k, what neighborhoods can you recommend that are within 2 or 3 miles of US 59?

Hmmmmm... That's a bit disconcerting. Is it a safe neighborhood, though? Have there been any recent prison breaks that I should be aware of? For 180k, what neighborhoods can you recommend that are within 2 or 3 miles of US 59?

Remember we're talking about the greater Houston area. 'Safety' is a relative concept, at best. However, thousands of people live in that area and don't seem to mind their proximity to the TDCJ units. I guess people get used to it. We do hear about the periodic escape attempt on the news, but they seem to be rare. Bottom line, you have to decide what you are willing to accept in a location. There are always trade-offs, especially in the price range you are interested in. Good luck!

My parents have lived in River Park for years. They both work on the west side of town so it's fairly convenient. As stated before it's in Lamar CISD not Fort Bend ISD. Also construction on 59 is behind schedule so you'll have to deal with that for another year+. The TDCJ units are north of 90A, so it's not really a factor. I went to school at Stephen F. Austin which was right across the street from the prison fields and nothing ever happened back then. As for crime within the neighborhood, my family hasn't ever told me of any incidents so I'm guessing it's fairly safe.

damn....it's all black now at Bissonnet and Highway 6?

if your going on demographics, you need to move an hour away as areas are changing all over..

People need to get used to the fact that Houston (and indeed) the nation is changing. All white, black, Hispanic ... whatever ... enclaves are disappearing.

To correct a previous poster - 59 construction is NOT behind schedule.

They plan to open two new lanes in each direction in March; that will alleviate a lot of the traffic until completion of the entire project in the 3rd quarter of 2008. Ahead of projected finish of 4th quarter 2008.

That is true that the new lanes will open soon, but this article is what I was basing my statement on. If it's wrong, that's great. I drive over there frequently.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/for...ws/5343758.html

"The $195 million renovation of U.S. 59 through Fort Bend County was supposed to be completed at the end of 2008 but now it appears the rebuilt freeway and bridges won't open until about May 2009."

and beyond...I grew up 12 miles from downtown of Hillcroft and main and the original owners (mainly caucasians) of the area my parents moved into were from South Park and Hiram Clarke...then they moved to Missouri City, then Sugar Land, then Katy, and so on and so on

My father grew up near Navasota and I thought that was the country outpost at one time...now they are coming out there now with intentions to snatch up land....geez..stay put

• The title was changed to Is River Park A Good Neighborhood?

Archived