Keep Tabs On The Next House To Fall

Willowisp

By the way, I thought from the other thread title "the next Moonlight Drive" the subject was going to be just a general question, as in:

What do you think the next Moonlight Drive (controversial teardown house) will be? If we can keep tabs on that maybe we have more of a chance to save the next one.

So I started this thread for that.

My best guess to answer that is probably one of the Parade of Homes houses in Meyerland. 950 Kirby is probably also a goner, and it was by Kamrath, though not extremely mod. It has been empty for quite some time and is right down the street from Lazy Lane.

Lastly, I dread the idea that 65 Briar Hollow Lane (Owsley House by Bolton and Barnstone) could be the next "BIG ONE" to fall. Older owners, prime real estate, other houses on that street have been torn down for townhomes. And since it happens to be one of my favorites, I feel like it's even more likely to be doomed.

Please feel free to add to this list, give reasons why, and any thoughts toward keeping it from happening.

Jason

Gut feelings mostly:

The Durst house -- the land is worth a fortune and the house is just too weird. Cf. the Mitchell house. I believe the Durst house has had a fortunate and sympathetic series of owners, but if that changes, it's Moonlight all over again.

The David Red house -- ditto, and doesn't look all that well maintained.

Take your pick in Riverside/Parkview. I'm guessing you won't recognize it in a decade.

Oh, and BenH -- great new pics on Houston Mod!

Gut feelings mostly:

The Durst house -- the land is worth a fortune and the house is just too weird. Cf. the Mitchell house. I believe the Durst house has had a fortunate and sympathetic series of owners, but if that changes, it's Moonlight all over again.

The David Red house -- ditto, and doesn't look all that well maintained.

Take your pick in Riverside/Parkview. I'm guessing you won't recognize it in a decade.

Oh, and BenH -- great new pics on Houston Mod!

Thank you, Marty. You should see what I shot in Galveston last week.

As for teardowns, I'm thinking the Lloyd & Morgan on Buckingham, the Kelsey house (though it would be horrible if that did happen), definitely the Durst House, though Mrs. Gee's son has lived there (I assume he's her son) all of his life, I believe. Any one of the Joe Krakower houses could fall next, as well as the Wylie Vale house at 11406 Memorial Drive (it's one of his last modern, flat roofed houses left.)

Thank you, Marty. You should see what I shot in Galveston last week.

As for teardowns, I'm thinking the Lloyd & Morgan on Buckingham, the Kelsey house (though it would be horrible if that did happen), definitely the Durst House, though Mrs. Gee's son has lived there (I assume he's her son) all of his life, I believe. Any one of the Joe Krakower houses could fall next, as well as the Wylie Vale house at 11406 Memorial Drive (it's one of his last modern, flat roofed houses left.)

I should! Where can I look? Were you over in Fish Village where the mods are? (I ran into a parked car on my bicycle once looking at a two-story mod on Harbor View.) Isn't the Lloyd & Morgan on Buckingham already gone? Or did you mean the other big house on Buckingham? Is there a Krakower in Parkview? There's a house on a corner lot over there that has a spiral, twisted, brick column in the entryway and a custom lantern in the front yard that looks very Herb Greene-ish.

I should! Where can I look? Were you over in Fish Village where the mods are? (I ran into a parked car on my bicycle once looking at a two-story mod on Harbor View.) Isn't the Lloyd & Morgan on Buckingham already gone? Or did you mean the other big house on Buckingham? Is there a Krakower in Parkview? There's a house on a corner lot over there that has a spiral, twisted, brick column in the entryway and a custom lantern in the front yard that looks very Herb Greene-ish.

Well, I shot several houses in Harbor View (You're probably thinking of the two story W. Irving Philips house that is indeed awesome. It's next to a Thomas Price house). But I have a tour that centers around Price's architecture that takes you through mods and classic Galveston architecture too. My best shots were of the UTMB building (aka Ol' Red). It's kind of strange that there's a house by Palm Springs architects Williams, Williams & Williams in Cedar Lawn Circle (They designed the Sinatra house in P.S.).

The other big house on Buckingham is also a Lloyd & Morgan.

Where is Parkview? Krakower & Greene's work in Houston wasn't really outlandish or nutty, but kind of 'earth-hugging', for lack of better words. Greene's most outlandish house was the Lyne house and it's gone. I really wish there was more known about them. I e-mailed Herb Greene about six months ago and he said to send a list of questions. I guess the list was too long. He never answered.

Well, I shot several houses in Harbor View (You're probably thinking of the two story W. Irving Philips house that is indeed awesome. It's next to a Thomas Price house).

Yes, we discussed it in this thread along with Live Local screen caps.

But I have a tour that centers around Price's architecture that takes you through mods and classic Galveston architecture too. My best shots were of the UTMB building (aka Ol' Red).
Ah, yes, opus spicatum, Thank goodness they figured out what they had before it was too late. It was probably the loss of the Ursuline Convent that woke everyone up, that, and the Barnstone book.
It's kind of strange that there's a house by Palm Springs architects Williams, Williams & Williams in Cedar Lawn Circle (They designed the Sinatra house in P.S.).
Yes, the Sam Maceo house. Frankie probably recommended them. :)
The other big house on Buckingham is also a Lloyd & Morgan.
OK, that makes sense. I didn't know that and it wasn't mentioned in the real estate listing.
Where is Parkview?
I'm such an idiot, I meant Parkwood and Roseneath. My bad, sorry about that.
Krakower & Greene's work in Houston wasn't really outlandish or nutty, but kind of 'earth-hugging', for lack of better words. Greene's most outlandish house was the Lyne house and it's gone. I really wish there was more known about them. I e-mailed Herb Greene about six months ago and he said to send a list of questions. I guess the list was too long. He never answered.

I know. I've been looking forward to his answers, hope he's still alive. I google the Berkeley area obits from time to time. Here are a couple of from-the-saddle pencam pix of the house in question:

bike.09_230037.jpg

bike.09_230036.jpg

It's not a house, I know, but I'm still pleasantly surprised that the Penguin Arms has lasted this long. But I'm worried, given its location. I'm still upset that the Burbridge apartments on Richmond at Montrose were torn down for a frickin' CVS.

It's not a house, I know, but I'm still pleasantly surprised that the Penguin Arms has lasted this long. But I'm worried, given its location. I'm still upset that the Burbridge apartments on Richmond at Montrose were torn down for a frickin' CVS.

I've worried about the Penguin Arms as well. Given the amount of new contruction, the pressure on places like that has to be increasing. At least it is on a side street instead of Westheimer or Alabama proper.

Archived