Do I Realy Need A Realtor?

ToolMan

I can find everything I am interested in on har.com. Or let's say a find a foreclosed home - are there legal issues I need to know about, or other important details?

I would rather get that other 3% cash for myself and use it for closing.

You wouldn't be getting any realtor fees if you don't use a realtor (only realtors can collect commission). However, if you do use a realtor, you can get something to use towards closing. A lot of realtors offer something back (1% seems pretty common). Just be sure to let your realtor know that you want to use the cash back towards closing, otherwise you will get a check for the amount at closing.

Unless you have a firm understanding of the entire process I would recommend going with a GOOD agent. A GOOD agent will know how to bargain on your behalf and will often get you their commission and then some knocked off the price or equivalent perks thrown in. Granted this may not be true for all agents, but I strongly believe the good ones can be a better impartial negotiator than most lay people can regardless of how prepared you may think you are. With my house I did all the leg work myself as far as searching the mls and finding the home, but I wouldn't have traded the knowledge base and negotiation skills my agent offered for anything. Bottom line though if you are experienced in real estate, law, financials, etc than you might be able to pull it off but if not go with an good agent and you will have a much smoother, happier transaction.

As a buyer, you won't get that other 3%, anyway. In general, the selling broker gets 6% and offers 3% to buyers brokers to show and sell the home. If you "find" that house on har, you have met the selling brokers requirement to find a buyer in order to get the commission, and that broker didn't have to pay a buyer's agent to show the house. That commission is the broker's to keep.

As a buyer, you are smart to get an agent (a GOOD agent), who can give you comps and help you negotiate a better deal. Without access to agent data, you do not usually know the sold comps for the houses you're buying.

I am an agent, but I am inactive. I'm looking at houses on HAR, too. I know most of the "inside" stuff, and I will still use an agent when I buy a home.

Good luck.

Often buyer's agents can also secure concessions and other inducements from the seller that you would not be able to secure yourself. I would never do business without an agent.