Resurfacing Hardwood

Hardwood floors in my new place need a facelift, especially in the kitchen area. How much does it costs? How long is the job - how long is the area will be avoided? Any contractor recomendations?

If I only opt for doing kitchen area and leave living room as it is (it is pretty good as is) will the boundary be visible?

Hardwood floors in my new place need a facelift, especially in the kitchen area. How much does it costs? How long is the job - how long is the area will be avoided? Any contractor recomendations?

If I only opt for doing kitchen area and leave living room as it is (it is pretty good as is) will the boundary be visible?

Prices for sand and finish range from 1.75-2.50 a foot. That being said, if you are trying to get a small job done (1 kitchen) it's gonna be hard to get a good deal.

How many square feet are we talking about here?

flipper

I had it done for about $2 a foot. He sanded, sealed and refinished. At one time, I considered just doing the bad rooms, but dirt gets into the floor over time, and there will likely be a difference in color and shine.

Generally, you can expect one to two days of prep work, one day for sealing, and one day for refinishing. The refinish could drag into two days if the first coat is slow to dry. Being November, it should not take too long. The floor needs to be completely dry before moving furniture back onto it. I believe I was out of the house for 8 days total, due to slow drying during humid weather. With the sanding, and odors, you really will have a hard time staying in the house during this period.

• 2 months later...
flipper,

Do you use CHWF for hardwood refinishing or another company?

red,

Who did you use and were you happy with the job they did?

I used a self-employed guy, who has about 30 years experience. He's a little rough around the edges, but he did good work at a decent price. I'll have to look around for his number.

Still using Carlos at CHWF. They are awesome.

For other subs I use, check out this thread: http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...showtopic=13785

flipper

Flipper, or Red,

Do your hardwood guys do install as well? I have to replicate some very old, original oak floor.

In my master BR, the wall between the sun porch and the bedroom was removed, and the room integrated back in the 40s or 50s from what we can tell, but all previous owners never did anything but linoleum and carpet over the subfloor in the sunroom section. I want someone who can match the wood and finish as closely as possible to the original floor in the rest of the bedroom. I've got so many other projects I'm not even going to attempt this one myself.

If you need hardwoods installed I would talk to Craig at Klassic Hardwoods or Classic Hardwoods off of Almeda. The one thing that is good about them is they use recycled hardwood that has aged and they have salvaged. When you install new floor and lace it with other floors that have been there a while, you can tell. They are like 1.50 s/f for white and red oak. I totally recommend them.

If you need hardwoods installed I would talk to Craig at Klassic Hardwoods or Classic Hardwoods off of Almeda. The one thing that is good about them is they use recycled hardwood that has aged and they have salvaged. When you install new floor and lace it with other floors that have been there a while, you can tell. They are like 1.50 s/f for white and red oak. I totally recommend them.

that sounds exactly like what I need. Thanks!!!

Archived